close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M14 and the .30-06

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Kurosawa, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Kurosawa

Kurosawa G&G Newbie

Is it possible for the M14 to chamber a .30-06? Just doing some off hand research for it.

2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i think the receiver, and op rod are too short to accomadate the 06 round.

3. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Yes , the earlier ones were chambered in .30.06 . That version was called M1 Garand . :)

Sorry , I could not resist !

Wyr
    God Bless

4. jamsalot

jamsalot G&G Newbie

Italian assault guns

After WWII, italian armorers (berretta i think) converted some M1 garands to take detachable box magazines like the m14. You can find them at gun shows occasionally. Some were 30-06 i think and some were .308. They also converted garands to .308. You can find some US navy garands chambered in .308 as well as Isreali garands and 98kar mausers. It is easier to make 30-06 into 308 than the other way around. My only complaint about m1a1 is the lack of caliber variety.

5. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Saw a M1A recently on Gunbroker .com Chambered in .243. Anyone else see this ?

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Heard of it. .243 Win is just a necked down .308 Win. Nothing but a barrel change.

7. m14nut

m14nut G&G Newbie

NJ
    Re: Italian assault guns

Beretta manufactured some squad style GArand conversions, Designated them the BM59. I believe those were actually select fire.:assult:
    Beretta also converted some to be semi auto, like the M1a, only it had an 18" bbl, bipod and proprietary mags that will only work with that gun:mad: Called it the BM69... Looks like the M1A bush gun, only in a Garand stock.
    A friend has a BM69, personally, for what he paid for it and the trouble he went through with the ATF/NJSP to get it in NJ, it can stay in Italy!!!:eek:

8. I have owned a BM 59 for several years, and it is great! Very well made, shorter and lighter than a Garand or M1A Scout, and very accurate. This gun runs! Use it with or without the flash supressor, and it works (accurately) every time.

Magazines are about $70 via mail order,versus $40 or so for M1A, but in spite of what you might have heard, magazines are still readily available. Actually, the last ones I bought were from a gun shop that had three of them and didn't know anyone who had a BM59, so I got them for $20 each. Beretta magazines are very well made, much more substantial than the M14 magazines, and you only need three or four.

I think that BM 59s are among the great "sleeper" bargains around!

Wizard

9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

m14nut sorry to hear about your miss fortunes in the PRNJ i remember IL DUCE Florios great assault weapons ban, couldn't go duck hunting with an UZI anymore:rolleyes but now i leave in guntucky where me and my guns are free of all those little bureaucratic hitlers:D when they said i had to turn in my m1a mi carbine and maarlin 22. i didn't no stand in the door -come and get me, just hid them:eek: so i guess that makes me a fugitive or something. when the state gets to the point to ban your guns again what you gonna do???

10. m14nut

m14nut G&G Newbie

NJ
    head for Vermont!!!!:target:

11. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

God's country...too cold for me though..if I want to live with that kind of weather I'll move back to Alaska :usa:

12. I live in Vermont and Alaska is my second choice.

DANA

13. gdphelps

gdphelps G&G Newbie

Want and 06 get a Garand