m14 rebuild

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tpharr, Oct 8, 2002.

1. tpharr

tpharr Guest

I am considering having Smith Enterprises rebuild my M14. Does anyone out there have a comment about the quality of work that Smith does? I would greatly appreciate your comments, pro or con.

2. Why would you want it to be rebuilt? If your rifle is of asian desent save your money and buy a Springfield.If it is an american made rifle,then why?

3. Gyrene

Gyrene Guest

tphar - As to the Chinese M-14's, the receivers were made with the same forging dies as the USGI M14's, and the machining was done with the same machines that did the U. S. Springfield Armory (Springfield, Massachusetts) receivers on USGI M14's. Check the North Cape Publications for their M14, M1A publication.

The U. S. Government sold the equipment to the Taiwan Government so they could manufacture the M-14 for themselves (after the U. S. switched to the M-16), these Chinese M-14's you will never see, because they were all "Select Fire", and never imported. When the Taiwan Government decided to switch to the M-16, they asked the U. S. Government for permission to sell the Forging dies and other machinery to the Peoples Republic of China (Communist China). The U. S. Government gave its approval.

The Comm Chinese used 8620 steel (as did Springfield Armory, in Massachussetts) to forge the receivers, and were only at fault for the heat treatment IN SOME CASES. Smith Industries in Arizona will heat treat the Chinese Receivers for anyone who wants it done, and then it is the equal of the U. S. Government M-14 receiver.

It has been reported (I have no idea, but am repeating what I had been told), that the DCM/CMP had been in contact with the Chinese Government regarding the possibility of manufacturing new semi-auto forged receivers to be installed on the surplus M14's, if they were going to be released to DCM/CMP Club Members. That should be an indicator as to whether the Chinese receivers are good or not. It is not going to happen, because most of the M14's and spare parts were given to Lithuania, along with millions of 7.62 x 51 ammo, by the Clinton Administration to get them out of the U. S. As long as they were here, there was a chance the U. S. Supreme Court would order that they should be a part of the DCM (CMP now) Program. The remaining M14's have been redistributed to the Special Forces and other Specialty Forces of the U. S. Government. They wanted it because the M16 is not up to being a main battle rifle.

Basically much of the USGI M-14 parts are interchangeable (meaning the U. S. parts fit, but not always the opposite). The rear sight has metric threads internally, but you can remove it and replace it with a complete USGI one, (and vice versa). The USGI barrel screws right in. The USGI bolt may or may not require fitting by an armorer (gunsmith), but you must always have the headspace checked. The trigger group is interchangeable. The gas assembly has metric threads as does the Chinese barrel in the area of the gas assembly, not interchangeable with USGI.

Springfield Armory, Inc, of Geneseo, Illinois uses Investment cast receivers made by Lithgow in Australia. The better of the two receivers are the Forged ones, but that does not mean that the Springfield Armory, Inc. receivers are not at least good ones. Many firearms manufacturers use Investment Castings for their receivers, for rifle, revolver, and pistol frames, and they work well. I do intend to purchase one of the Springfield Armory (Geneseo, Illinois) Super Match M1A's one day soon, so don't think I am bad mouthing them.

An Investment Casting is made in a mold that is for one use only, and has to be literally broken off the cast part, and can be quite intricate and precise in its dimensions (within thousandths of an inch, or better (Check out the signatures on golf clubs)). We generally think of a steel casting such as a transmission case or engine block is made with sand molds and is generally quite rough requiring machining anywhere you need a good finish. I can elaborate on this, if you want to know.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  4. DocCombat

DocCombat Guest

Well it looks like someone has done their homework.
    I have a Century Arms M-14s that I've had for many years and have fired a few thousand rounds thru and is very accurate. I did change the some parts with USGI, the Bolt catch and pin and USGI spring and OP rod and pin. And replaced the stock with a USGI stock with the Defence Eagle stamp. But most major parts were USGI with the lot and heat treat numbers. And have never seen another Century M-14 since. I dont think they produced many as my serial is #1XXX.