close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M16 to AR15 parts mods question

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DougW, May 3, 2002.

1. DougW

DougW G&G Newbie

I have found elsewhere that a modified (cut) M16 bolt and hammer can be legal in an AR15. Can the sear be modified by cutting the tail off and then be used legally? I know the "safe" legal way when building a rifle is to simply buy the AR15 lower parts group. I was just curious as I am a total rookie when it comes to the AR. TIA!

2. Any and all M-16 parts in a AR-15 are illegal and can give you a hefty prison term if convicted.

3. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

I would think that if you could fit in a sear the weapon has been modified or is pre-ban. ( wide enough behind the trigger group to allow a sear and drilled to accept the sear pin.)

4. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Doug,
    It is perfectly legal to use M16 parts that have been milled/filed or whatever to bring to AR specs. Sarco usually sends these modified M16 parts with their kits. Back in the old days, when Colt was the basic manufacturer, most kits (from where ever) had only these milled M16 parts. And it's not that difficult to fix them. Hammer: cut the hook notch off the top, Disconnector: cut the 'tail' off, the trigger stays the same, on the selector you remove the center tang (so it's smooth in the center like an AR). The bolt carrier can be done but you will need some heavy duty equipment to do it, just mill out the bottom back half. The problem these days is that it is illegal to posess these parts in the straight M16 configuration. For some reason the BATF classifies an M16 part as a machine gun. But, in the event you happen to have some laying around, don't dispose of them, just convert'em. Good Shooting! Eric

5. DougW

DougW G&G Newbie

Eric,
    Thanks for the reply. I made a mistake on my earlier post when I mentioned "sear" I ment "disconnector". I plan to replace all these parts anyway, but it seamed a waste to have good mil spec parts that by modifying could render the weapon the non-evil AR configuration. I am building a kit right now, but no lower reciever has been ordered yet. I am still tweeking my L1A1 build, and trying to learn more about the AR's. BTW, the bolt I have is a Colt and has already had the bottom milled off to make it "safe". That way, I don't need to buy that piece. Thanks again! Good shooting!!!!!