Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been pondering on a "super carbine" for awhile now and finally got round to building it.

With 5.56 speed is king, and the 20" does speed real well. The A5 buffer system allows a little more maneuverability and I've been wanting to try it out, as much as I like the old A1 this new/new is a nice, smooth system in it's own right.

I ended up putting the scope on another build, but I really dig the Sig Whiskey-3 it is nice glass considering the low price point.

BCM upper
Vltor A5 buffer kit
SOLGW lpk
ALG trigger

(Poverty Pony lower)
20210410_092021.jpg

·
<------------<<<-
3,951 Posts
Not a bad rig at all. I still need an upper for an A2 build I want to do. Covid gun prices kind of put a pause on the build.

I hope all is going well for you, Thrill.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,597 Posts
BCM is making their own a5 components now, this one has BCM tube and Vltor buffer/spring. Due to the current scarcity I had to order from two places and mix & match
I’m going back 4 yrs or so when V first came out with it. Was a unicorn. Seems it’s getting figured out.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
maybe i missed it, can someone fill me in on what a A5 is?

nice rifle though!

being the owner of several poverty ponies, i cant hep but chuclke alittle bit to see it complimented with bcm, vltor and the like! but hey, gotta save pennies where we can right?!

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts

nice rifle though!

being the owner of several poverty ponies, i cant hep but chuclke alittle bit to see it complimented with bcm, vltor and the like! but hey, gotta save pennies where we can right?!
In short it was a military project with VLTOR back in 2015 to see what could be done by the USMC to update the M16A4 /M16 family to squeeze out some more improvements from a rifle system that was already on its way out the door, but the replacement was not finalized yet...

Improvements ranged from a compensator vs a flash hider, free floated barrel for better accuracy and the biggest change being a different buffer system to allow for a telescoping adjustable length of pull carbine type stock Instead of the fixed buttstock.

The concept lives on in the commercial side of the AR15 market for those that want full 20" rifle performance but without the drawbacks of the standard system, but it basically died off fairly quickly on the military side because the US Marines ultimately ditched the M16 all together and replaced it with the HK M27 IAR as their general issued rifle and any left over M16's and M4's have been relegated to support troops or training.

Likewise it also never caught on with the Army either as they are now in their final stages of their Next Gen rifle tests and none of those finalists are M16s.

·
Super Moderator
16,877 Posts
View attachment 162475

I have been pondering on a "super carbine" for awhile now and finally got round to building it.

With 5.56 speed is king, and the 20" does speed real well. The A5 buffer system allows a little more maneuverability and I've been wanting to try it out, as much as I like the old A1 this new/new is a nice, smooth system in it's own right.

I ended up putting the scope on another build, but I really dig the Sig Whiskey-3 it is nice glass considering the low price point.

BCM upper
Vltor A5 buffer kit
SOLGW lpk
ALG trigger

(Poverty Pony lower) View attachment 162475
nice build TB but its not complete until it has a TB paintjob on it!

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

nice rifle though!

A couple years ago I could get Andersons locally for cheap, something like $94 for three (out the door).

I ran out of good lowers and couldn't find any to buy lol so I dug this one out

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
A couple years ago I could get Andersons locally for cheap, something like $94 for three (out the door).

I ran out of good lowers and couldn't find any to buy lol so I dug this one out

i have two and they function fine. maybe not the fanciest out there but they work! both were around $35. if it werent for the lowers being so affordable, i wouldnt have started building them!

one of these days I also want to do a 20" "rifle" build. though ill probably just do the upper and use my existing rifle lower.

·
Premium Member
24,585 Posts
I actually have two unpainted ARs currently

...for now.

You notice I finally got an Mlok rail
We should start a thrillbilly gofundme so we can buy you a semi truck load of camo color Krylon and Duplicolor rattle cans of paint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts