Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband just purchased a Spanish m1916.. the dealer had it marked as a 7X57.. We've been reading on the internet that these were rechambered. The gun we have has no markings of a new caliber.. it does have "samco mia FL 7mm mauser"
Would there be a marking on it if it had been rechambered?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
bomar_97 said:
My husband just purchased a Spanish m1916.. the dealer had it marked as a 7X57.. We've been reading on the internet that these were rechambered. The gun we have has no markings of a new caliber.. it does have "samco mia FL 7mm mauser"
Would there be a marking on it if it had been rechambered?
well first of all weclome to G&G young lady :)

first of all a lot of these so-called dealers don't know ther arse from the hole in the barrel. a lot of these were remade to shoot the 7.62 CETME cartridge, which for all practical purposes is identical to the 7.62Nato/.308 Winchester dimensonally, but the CETME rounds are reduced pressure, and rare.

the importer(SAMCO) stamped it with the caliber designation 7mm Mauser so it probably is. but if theres any doubt get it checked by a "competent" and "trusted" gunsmith. or take a 7mm Mauser cartridge, and stick the bullet end in the muzzle of the gun. if its 7mm it will be a close fit, if its 7.62mm the bullet will flop around in the bore.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks..

We thought of a micrometer, but as we are kind of moving "new place not ready, but old place under contract" most of our supplies are in storage..

Even the ammo is stashed away.. but that would be an easy check ..

Again.. thanks for the info..

By the way, thanks for the welcome.. I have posted before, but tend to do it generically... I usually post about one of my guns.. so I don't really state I'm female..

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,927 Posts
A very nice find if it is in the original 7mm Mauser chambering. Everyone I know who owns one loves them - makes trying to buy one hard - they don't tend to sell them! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After thinking about the suggestion of checking with a bullet for size, my husband thought about it and took out his mini-30.. used a pencil.. which fit easily into the mini-30, but would not go into the mauser... seems it is the original 7mm... makes him happy..

·
Registered
2 Posts
mini 30 is 7.62x39.....

I don't know how the pencil test in the mini 30 (7.62x39) helped.

Here is data for 7mm Mauser and for .308.

The mauser round has a physically longer brass.... diameter is actually larger.. (bullet is smaller)

check here:

http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/ref_data/case_dimensions.htm

7mm mauser
7x57 Mauser

C
L

308 Win (7.62 Nato)
C
L

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why the pencil test worked .. a bit primitive..
but..
the 7mm mauser barrel should be smaller in diameter than the mini-30 barrel.. the pencil would not fit into the muzzle of the mauser, but easily inserted into the muzzle of the mini-30... hence .. the mini-30 barrel had a larger diameter than the mauser...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Oviedo Spain m1916 7mm, but it has the samco mia on it as well. From what I have read so far I am lost, is this a gun by Oviedo or by Samco ??? I love the gun, it was givin to me as a gift, and I want to restore it but need to know what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SAMCO is an importer only, and by law has to stamp the rifles it imports. Oviedo was the Spanish State armory. My understanding is quite a few 7 mm Spanish mausers were made in Germany initially, until Spain started building them under license in Oviedo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts