close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M1917 Enfield stock question

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by mdj696, Dec 31, 2016.

1. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

About 4 or 5 years ago I bought a 1917 Eddystone, dated 8-18, no import stamps. in pristine condition. On left side of stock above trigger is stamped in box, 3GM-6. Anyone know what it is?

PAPA G likes this.
  2. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Possibly might be an a rebuild stamp. Don't know for sure.

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Inspector stamp?

PAPA G likes this.
  4. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

an inspection mark.
    they appear all over US military rifles.
    the arsenal and the actual inspectors initials are in the little box.

I have seen a few inspected by EK which is Elmer Keith and a few other noted gun writers.

PAPA G and jwrauch like this.
  5. Send us a pic of it for sure.

PAPA G likes this.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

swedesrus likes this.
  7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Its not a Springfield Armory 1903 rifle, so the search goes on!

8. mack310

mack310 G&G Regular

In broadest strokes, the reference page gives you the answer. Many of these rifles were manufactured at the end of that conflict in 1918 and went directly to storage, unused and pristine. By the time war became certain in the mid-30s, these rifles were mixed in with tens of thousands more returned rifles in various conditions. Remember the military shrank to about 85000 troops by that time, so there was no need to keep all those weapons in racks and ready to use. Also, there was no rational argument for destroying these arms, so storage was the way to go (good thing for collectors today!). At the onset of hostilities in 1939, contracts had been let to bring these new/old rifles out of storage and put them back in service. General Motors got huge contracts and the automaker sent these to different divisions to complete the rebuilds. What you have is a rifle re-worked by Kelvinator. I have had several with similar marks in the past 50 years of collecting. Hope you enjoy the rifle. It should be a nice collector piece.

swedesrus, jwrauch and ChaZam like this.
  9. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

I bought it from a friend for $200. He ddn't know what is was only that is was a 30/06. Said he bought it at an estate sale maybe 10 or so years ago for $25.00. I jumped on it like a blue jay on a June bug.

ChaZam likes this.
  10. Well ya gotta show us some pics of the beauty.

11. The 1917 is tied with the M1 for my favorite service rifle

Capt'n Mil Coll likes this.
  12. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Capt'n Mil Collec and thrillbilly here are your pictures you ask. !-M1D,1917 Eddystone, 1903A4 Springfield. 2-Stamp on Eddystone stock. 3- Only worn part on Eddystone receiver. 3006s 001.JPG Eddystone stock.JPG Eddystone.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    ChaZam likes this.