M1A handloads

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dick Robinson, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Anyone got any pet loads for the M1A? I found 150gr. Sierra hpbt match with 49.5gr. of IMR-4350 gives about 1" groups at 100yds., in my rifle.
    I haven't tried any of the pulled surplus bullets yet, but I've seen some 147gr, fmjbt for .308. Anybody use them?

2. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Dick I shoot a lot of Portugese & South African PMP ammo in mine Pretty clean & have no problems in feeding& extraction For accuracy I shoot the FederalGold Match 168gr. BTHP On a good day I shoot 21/2 in. grps@100yds This through a M1A Scout model

3. my pet loads are as follows.. all are sierra bullets..
    200&300yd loads... 168gr MK, LC69 br**** 39.5gr of Varget, CCI200 primers, AOL 2.85", pimer pockets uniformed, flash hole deburred.
    600yd load (this load is ONLY for 600yd as it is a HOT load) 175gr MK, CCI200 Primer, 41.0gr Varget, AOL 2.85" , flash hole deburred, primer pocket uniformed...

the 200&300yd loads are verry mild and will cycle the action... and are extremely accurate and the 600 yd loads will do the job... at least i made Master with these loads in my standard M1A with only a shimmed gas system , NM flash supressor, and trigger job, and NM sights.......

4. moredes

moredes G&G Newbie

Robert C,

Do you have MV figures for those loads?

Thanks very much.

5. not offhand i don't.. these are the loads almost all high power shooters use, who uses a M1A....

6. moredes

moredes G&G Newbie

Thanks, Robert..

7. Thanks a lot, Robert C., I really appreciate the help.
    Could you explain shimming the gas system?
    Is it necessary to do this for these loads?

8. shimming the gas system is the 'poor mans' way of unitizing the gas system.. Fulton Armory has the shim kit ($6.95 i think)

9. m14nut

m14nut G&G Newbie

NJ
    Try this, I've been using it at the Nationals for 5 years, and ir's good to 600yd.
    168gr. Nosler j4 competition hpbt match
    43gr. of IMR 4064
    IMI match brass
    CCI match primers.
    This load consistently holds sub-moa at 100, moa at 200 and 1.5" groups at 300. At 600 the spread is about 3". MV leaving the tube at 2655 :D

10. Thanks, M14 nut, I appreciate the input. I'll, for sure, give it a try.
    Have a good one, Dick.

11. Dave in Pa

Dave in Pa G&G Newbie

sw pa
    Just read your post concerning your loads for your M1A.DO NOT USE IMR/H 4350 in an M1 or M1a. Pressure curve /port pressure is all wrong with 4350 and will cause damage.IMR 4064 is the slowest you should consider.The standard M-14/M1A load for shooting across the course with a gas gun for years was IMR/H 4895 starting with 40.0 grs and working up in .5 gr incrimerts.The load we used was 40.5 grs IMR4895 LC case Win/Rem LR primer.OAL for this load was 2.800,this was mag length.Load is close to the old Lake City 852 match at 2550 fps.Our 600yd load was 41.5grs but depended on the rifle.While I went to a match rifle before Varget &175 gr Sierras came on the scene I am tempted to try some in the future.Not trying to tell you what to do just been there done that.

12. tony

tony G&G Newbie

Varget & 175 gr match

Does anyone have a pet load using Varget & 175 gr match bullet? I'm getting ready to shop for powder for my first attemp at handloading for my Springfield M1A NM. Or any other suggestions concerning the 175 gr would be appreciated.

13. the only load i use with Varget and Sierra 175 Match bullets is 42.0gr .... is a HOT load and intended for the 600yd relays ONLY!!!
    for the shorter distances.. use 39.5gr of Varget and a Sierra 168gr Match bullet.. this is a mild load and enables fast follow ups

14. tony

tony G&G Newbie

what primers

do you use, same for both loads?

15. Thanks Dave, for the info, on the IMR4350. You didn't say what bullets you used, in your loads, I'd be interested to know.
    Have a good one, ****.

16. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Start out with about 39.5 grains of surplus 4895 & GI brass , slowly & carefully work your way up .

Wyr
    God Bless

17. I'll give that a try, thanks for the input, Wyr. I heard Varget was also a good powder, for the M1A, you ever try that?

18. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I have not ,but I know that it is used in 7.62 NATO & .223 , by High Power shooters .

I am cheap & the surplus 4895 is much cheaper than commercial powder . :)

Wyr
    God Bless

19. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

How are the Federal Gold Match cases for reloading? Thinking of getting into "rolling my own". I have a lot of them from shooting my AR10t .You guys make it sound simple but I know you really have to be careful Any suggestion for a begginner? Thanks :target:

20. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Get the Lyman reloading manual and read , read , read .......

Wyr
    God Bless