Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Here are two photo's of the M1 Garand Sniper rifles. The first is the M1C then a M1E8. Notice dates and the flush mount cheek on the M1E8. Also notice Trigger Guard on both Rifles.

My history books shows what's going on from the early 1920's to the late in 1939. As things happen in history Ordnance is moving trying to stay ahead.
If you need a bigger file just email me.
[email protected]
http://www.garandm1rifle.com
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Registered
886 Posts
eclancy - The M1E8 became the M1D, as I see it, with that scope mount.

For the most part, we did use the scope to scan an area, or to assist in seeing the potential target. Since the rifle had a parallax problem with the scope mounted to the left and up, you could only be sighted in for one distance, and that can get you killed, if it isn't the distance you can get your shot in. Yes, we did get the numbers for changes in distance, but that does not always get your first shot into the correct place, it could get you killed!

Most of us then reverted to the iron sights for accurate shooting, and the flash hider usually went into the pack, when we had one, until it could be conveniently "lost", as the scope and the flash hider were big handicaps, and when the enemy is shooting at you, you don't need anything that takes time to use, or gets in your way!

`

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gyrene,
Notice on the M1E8, the flat cheek piece letting you use your iron sights.
When I teach rifle my guys most count off distance while walking around town. It helps to give them a feel for range.
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Registered
886 Posts
eclancy - For the most part we took the cheek piece off, the M1D's, so we could use the iron sights. There is nothing as good as "good old iron sights", when it is your butt on the line. Scopes get damaged, or knocked off their zero, or have to be rezeroed (for a new distance), and a myriad of other problems that are just not needed when the enemy is shooting at you (or will be as soon as you miss your intended target).

Some guys did their own thing, and used the scope regularly, and for some it worked.

I have an M1D with no paper, but when I was in the USMC, the company armorers made them up out of whatever was available, and I am sure that the CMP does the same, and they can provide paper to get more money, what is the difference?

The M1C is a really special M1 Garand, picked because of its accuracy to be made into an M1C. The M1C's were made by Springfield, and are easier to determine the real thing. The M1C has the same parallax problems as the M1D, because of the side mounted scope, so despite the fact it is a special rifle it is still better without the scope.

Iron sights are still as easy to use as a scope, for me, with corrective lenses that I have to wear (I am so nearsighted I can focus on the bifocal line on my lenses, without moving my glasses from their normal location) which give me 20/15 vision.

`

1 - 4 of 4 Posts