M24/47 VS 98?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DEGRAVEWD, May 29, 2008.

1. DEGRAVEWD

DEGRAVEWD G&G Newbie

I AM LOOKING TO PURCAHSE A 8MM MAUSER RIFLE. IM LOOKING AT EITHER A MAUSER K98 OR A M24/47. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHICH ONE YOU SUGGEST FOR A SHOOTER? WHAT IS THE DEIFFERNCE IN BARREL LENGTH? IS THE K98 ZEROED IN AT 100 YARDS OR MORE? AND HOW MUCH DO K98'S RUN? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS

2. If I recall the 24/47 has a "beefier" reciever, than a German K98. The bolt handle is turned down on the K98 so you can slap a scope on it and not have to buy another bolt handle or have it bent down. Either gun is fine and either can be had for abt. $ 250 in good shape, you'll have to get a can of mineral spirits and a lot of rags to clean them up and maybe some wood stripper and stock finish, but I was pleasantly surprise when I did my '98 (go to my profile and look at the My Latest project album)
    If my eyes were better and could see the sights better I could probably hold abt a 2" group at 100 yds.. It shoots a little better than my '03 with the barrel mounted sights.

Just remember it's a used gun, most are Russian capture guns and have been arsenal refurbished. Check out everything you can think of, rifling crown bolt, dry fire it make sure the safety works, make sure the bolt isn't excessively loose ( forward and back with the bolt closed) If you have a buddy that knows more than you take him along when you're looking at a gun. Use common sense when buying and yoou should be OK, If you go to a local gunshop and you feel comfortable with the sales person, that they aren't trying to sell you a used car, most won't give you a bad deal and always ask if they''ll take a couple of bucks off the selling price most will and good luck on you're purchase

3. They are pretty much the same rifle action wise. The K98 is a lmore desirable but that'kk cost you more than th 24/47. I believe that the 24/47 is just a licecense built Kar98k anyhow. If you just want more of a shooter than a collecter, I'd go with the 24/47 just because you can get a nice one for 150 or less where as a German built 98k will probably run you atleast 250 for onw in shooters grade and really it's the same rifle, just one, like I said, is more of a collecter than the other. The 24/47 is startin to make it's mark in the collecter world too though. Hope this helps.

4. The Yugo M48 is practically identical to the 24/47 and can usually be found with all matching SNs in excellent condition but the ones I've seen this year are costing just under $200. The M48 is practically the same rifle as the 24/47 with a turned down bolt. I have three M48s in new condition and one 24/47 with excellent metal and a very good stock. I paid considerably less for them than I did for my K98.