close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M35 Browning Hi-Power

Discussion in 'FN Hi-power/Inglis' started by BigCaneSwift, Aug 12, 2012.

1. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

My next door neighbor asked me to clean this beautiful pistol , he said i could shoot it if I wanted but i just can't

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      806.8 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      802.1 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      816.9 KB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      827.6 KB
      Views:
  2. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

Yea, I be shooting that, and giving it another cleaning!

3. Erickson

Erickson G&G Evangelist

I second that. A Hi-Power is on my list of guns that I must own at some point.

4. The_Doctor

The_Doctor G&G Enthusiast

P35s are a delight to shoot.

I love mine, even though it's a

"plain Jane" blued model.

Shoot it! You'll love it!

And then, you'll NEED one.

The_Doctor

5. The_Doctor

After looking at the pictures more closely,

I have to say - SHOOT IT! There's no way

that's an original factory finish, and you can't hurt

it by enjoying (but not abusing) it.

The_Doctor

6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

They are lovely pistols, but they just don't feel right to me. It doesn't make sense; they have pretty much the same grip angle as the M1911, so why don't they feel right to me?

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I traded in a Ruger KP944 with CT Lasergrips, a Ruger KP89 with CT Lasergrips, and a Ruger P85 for a SIG P229 with both a .40 S&W and a 357 SIG barrel, and an FN High Power.

Never regretted it, either.

8. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I would shoot it.
    But would ask him for the ammo too! LOL

9. The_Doctor

I felt the same way when I first acquired my P35... I love the

comfortable grip of the 1911. However, I simply HAD to have

the Hi-Power for my collection, nevermind that it felt awkward.

I have concluded that it was, in my case, mostly a case of me

*expecting* it to feel like a 1911. The grips are considerably

chubbier. But with practice I found I grew accustomed to the

much fuller grip, and love the extra shots and lower recoil.

The_Doctor

10. Cyrano

Doctor, that's why I bought a Smith& Wesson Model 59, and have been slowly adding magazines for it; it feels right. (Remember, I live in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York; I have to find preban high capacity magazines that aren't stamped for law enforcement use, and they aren't cheap!) But all things considered, I still prefer the M1911.

11. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

I'd shoot the crap out of it and clean it again. They're made to be shot and we wouldn't want it feeling useless, would we?

12. Erickson

Erickson G&G Evangelist

Might be cheaper in the long run to offer up a reward to the G&G team that can quickly and safely extract you from hostile territory. :)

13. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    OH, HECK YES...SHOOT THAT PUPPY!

You will fall in love with it.

14. oldjarhead

MO
    Probably the staggered mag grip.

Have you tried looking at CDNN for 59 mags? They show new factory hi-caps for arounf $33.

15. Cyrano

I'd do just that, ojh, if I lived in a state with sane gun laws. But remember, I live in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York. The Slick Willy Gun Ban never went away here; it's still on the books as the Patacki Gun Ban.

We are allowed high capacity magazines (that is greater than 10 rounds), believe it or not -- but they have to have been manufactured before September 13, 1994, the day the evil law was signed. Now, if you shoot something like an AK-47, an AR-15, a CETME, an FN-FAL, or even something like a Suomi semi-auto-only submachine gun/carbine, where high-cap mags were manufactured by the jillion prior to 9/13/94, this is not a problem. For rifles and carbines generally, you can find enough magazines to keep you happy. But if you want a pistol with greater than 10 round magazine capacity in the Empire State and you are not a cop, you have very limited options.

The high capacity magazine trend was established by 1994, but there weren't as many choices as today. One good one was Model 59 S&W, that was made for the military pistol competition to replace the M1911A1 in the 1980s won by the Beretta. S&W hoped to sell it to the army and then to U.S. police forces. In the event, after the adoption of the M-9, the Model 59 and its successor the Model 5906 found themselves treated like orphans. The only major law enforcement sales were to the NYPD and the Honolulu PD. There was some interest in the private market, but not enough to overcome the handicap imposed by the adoption of the Beretta by the Army. As a result, when the Slick Willy Gun Ban cut off the supply of hi-caps to anyone not a LEO, the law enforcement mags were stamped to identify them as such. Those are illegal in New York unless you are a cop. And thanks to the Patacki Gun Ban, the ones manufactured after September 13, 2004 are also illegal here.

So New Yorkers with Model 59s have to find pre-ban magazines for their pistols. They generally cost in the neighborhood of $50 each when you get lucky. I have a standing order at two gun shops in my area, but they don't turn up very often at all.

This may explain why the CZ-82 is popular here. Spare magazines are easy to find, they are ALL pre-ban, and 9x18 Makarov ammo is no longer a rarity.

16. oldjarhead

MO
    I'm at a loss here, Cyrano...if the mags aren't stamped for LEO how in the world would anyone be able to tell when a mag was made...they aren't marked with a manufacture date are they?
    Fortunately, I turned down very good paying employment because it was located at Niagra Falls...or I'd be where you are now. Of course I would have been one more vote against Charlie Boy.
    I run across various things once in a while...I keep lookout for ya.

17. Please shoot that gun. A beautiful gun that isn't shot is like a beautiful woman who isn't kissed.