M38 Range Report

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by frenchy, Aug 16, 2010.

1. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Picky little sweetie

frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. frenchy

M38 [ lil sweetie]

[​IMG]

3. Better than what I did Sunday with my 44.

4. frenchy

M38[ seemed to like the Winchester]

[​IMG]

5. I was using Polish. Bought it mainly for the strippers. Winchester 180gr FMJs is very good ammo. Wish I could find more of it.

6. frenchy

Would it not group buddy? I see your young so probabley don't have the dreaded old eye problem?
    frenchy

7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good looking rifle Dale, and it does seem to like the winchester.

8. frenchy

Thanks buddy, yea this is my $99 "find" from BIG5 unreissued best rifling of any of my 4 MN's but also the one i scrubbed for 8 hours, reluctantly decided to shoot it anyway since all my other guns are locked in my safe and i can't open the stupid piece of...[long story] anyway yea i couldn't believe the priv partizan, i don't show it but it was so bad at 100 yrds. i moved up to 75 thinking it was me till i shot the Win. I'm so glad it finialy grouped because I'm gonna reload for all my guns and was beginning to wonder if it had a major problem.
    frenchy

9. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

Nice rifle,I understand about the PP.My M44s like Silver bear better,can't explain it as I got the PP for testing the accuracy and the SB for just throwing down range.
    I have Bulgarian that shot better.

10. frenchy

Thank you XIDshooter, Yea mouser said the Win. shot good and the Silver Bear 203 gr. even better in his M44 too, i bought PP for price and reloading, several members said PP made a very good case.
    frenchy

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  11. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

That is some good groups with the Winchester, Frenchy. My m38s like the light ball better than heavy ball. So, it is interesting that you got better groups with the winnies. Heck, you work up a good load and I just might have to buy the dies to reload for Mosins...Naw, Gannie would never let me live it down! :09:

12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

You bet I wouldn't. You gave me back the stuff I gave YOU to reload it.

13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Ya, but I still got bullets, powder and primers. All I need are the dies and brass. easy enough to get ahold of. Problem is...I am still working up Garand loads and....oh my.....should I dare say it?....Garands are......*GULP*...ALMOST as much fun to shoot as Mosins! HA!

breathe easy Frenchy, as caring as you are I know you were really worried about my health! :09:

14. I'll agree Garands are as fun to shoot, but to me if it goes bang and you can hit what you're aiming at they're all fun to shoot.

15. frenchy

Yes Tex i was till it turned to that green monster ENVY! Garands! Garands!
    Oh you lucky guy! No good for you Tex, couldn't happen to ah nicer guy :usa2::bigok:
    frenchy

16. Dale being on dail up I can't enlarge the targets but I can see the rifle real good. You got a nice one you lucky rascal.
    I would much reather have an M-38 than my 91/30. Enjoy buddy !!!!

17. I don't shoot that M44 much. I likes heavy lead anyway. Shooting at 100 yards, small target, I guess I could make up all kinds of reasons that it didn't group good, but it's was probably just me.

18. nice rifle! sure hates the prvi ammo, huh? can't even call those groups. too bad it loves the expensive stuff. reloading will help a bunch as far as groups and a bit on the expense. it's funny when you hit the right combo for the rifle and the groups shrink farther than you thought possible.

19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

To the fiery pit you BLASPHEMER!

(Gawd I want a Garand!):shhh:

20. frenchy

Yea as long as i believe it CAN be reloaded to a reasonable group I'm very happy with it. Each gun i buy i also buy a set of dies for that cartridge and a diss-assembly manual, this is my goal to reload for each gun and be able to dissassemble, repair, accurize, cast bullets, target shoot and hunt with it. This is my long range plan for controlling endless buying which i can't afford. Hope to still buy a special gun now and then like a Garand or 30 Carbine. Also up grade what i have over time, it's not a cure for firearmitise but a control for the disease.:D [I'll see if it works]
    frenchy