M39 & tight bolt & scope mounts???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by James Durham, Mar 17, 2002.

1. James Durham

James Durham G&G Newbie

HiYa!
    (2) Questions??
    a) My M39 has a very tight bolt "on opening/cocking", now the gun appears to be 'near' new and the tightness is evident whether the chamber is empty or not. Could it just be the 'newness'? Could loosen up after 500 rounds I guess. Anyone else have this hinderence? Yes, I've thouroughly cleaned the bolt.
    b) Scope mounts for the M39. I've seen that B-Square sells one; as does Tapco, supposedly you can put on (drill & tap) yourself with bent bolt; I've seen a guy on another board that sells a "scout" mount which replaces your rear sight.
    I want to put a scope on this rifle but also don't want to spend a small fortune on $100 gun. One gunsmith I called wants $40 for EACH hole drilled & tapped for a mount.
    ANY HELP!!!!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

As far as the bolt goes, that's normal. It will get smoother with use.
    Now, the scope mount is a problem for me. I don't want to lose the ability to use the iron sights with a scope mounted. As far as the mount TAPCO sells, I have heard it's a good one. The bolt handle is a job best done by a gunsmith, and I would not pay $40 for ANYONE to drill and tap ONE hole on any of my rifles. That's outrageous!! There's gotta be someone else who is more reasonable that lives near you. Check out the Shotgun News, as you can surely find someone there. Good luck, and hope everything works out. If you get it done, let us know how it works.

3. James Durham

James Durham G&G Newbie

Hey Calvin,
    Thanks for the comeback! I've begun to notice that MANY people complain about the 'tightness' of the Mosin bolts, surely aside from firing 500-1000 rounds, someone must have a fix for this; replacing the cocking spring, maybe. I hunt wild boar with my Dad & Brother in Louisiana every couple of years and MUST have a rifle that has that "quick" second shot ability, a wounded porkie if **** mean. Could use the .303 Brit I have, it's VERY fast.
    Oh no, I won't pay this guy $40 to drill (each hole) and tap a scope mount, I'm with you, got to find someone cheaper.
    I'll keep the board informed as to my progess.
    Thanks again.
    Jim

4. holyokster

holyokster G&G Newbie

I have to agree with Calvin, the Mosin-Nagant bolt is not as smooth as the Enfield or Mausers, this is just the nature of the beast and is designed to be that way. It cocks on closing like earlier Mausers prior to the 98 model. Weakining the mainspring may result in misfires. As for a scope mount, Darrel at www.milsupshooter.net has an excellent steel scope mount. You do need to remove the rear sight but that's an easy task requiring the removal of one pin. Hope this helps.

5. holyokster

holyokster G&G Newbie

Sorry, It cocks upon opening, an older design but it served the Finns and Russians for many years faithfully.

6. Dear James,
    I am by no means a Mosin-Nagant pro but I grew-up in East Germany where we trained in basic marksmanship on old M44s. I now own a Polish M44 and previously also had one of those unissued Finish M39s.

I have NEVER seen a Mosin-Nagant with a bolt action that was smooth when compared to a Mauser or practically any other type of bolt-action rifle. I consider it an acquired touch. I can chamber with my M44 as smooth as silk but when I hand it to my buddies they get stuck mid-way through or end-up smacking the bolt with the palm of their hand to get it to close.

I really think its just a question of getting used to it and developing a "Mosin-Nagant Wrist".....knowing not just HOW to manipulate the bolt but also WHEN to apply force and when to let momentum and gravity do the work.

Have fun!