M39

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BOHICA1962, May 23, 2008.

1. I have a chance to pick up an M39 with the B barrel and a very nice post war stock with the V shaped fingers in the splice. The stock has several round repairs near the receiver but they're expertly done and don't go all the way thru the stock. The barrel is bright with very good lands and groves.. The cost will be $338. What am I waiting on? I have one almost identical to this one........is the B barrel worth the price? I see some going for $400 and up. Is there a "Rifles anonymous" program for us old guys who got a late start in C$R and are trying to cram 10yrs. collecting into 2-3yrs?:):):):)

2. That strikes me as a little expensive. Then again, both of my M39's were well-used when I bought them, so I'm no expert on pricing. And the B barrel is definitely a plus...

The repairs were done to remove defects at the time the stock was being made; woodworkers in the Nordic countries as a whole don't believe in wasting wood.

3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

That is not a bad price for a B barrel model. I would not hesitate picking it up. I have a Sako B barrel and it is a great rifle.

As for RA club....We tried to start one several times. We found that we were all bad influences on each other and it was best we disband and buy more rifles. LOL!

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I would buy it. Tex is fibbing! HE was the bad influence in the group !!

5. We're all bad influences on each other. A few of us are always gathered at the gun store telling war stories and trading insults. Almost always one of us will walk out with a new aquisition whether we went there looking to buy or not. The store owner lets anybody that comes in behind the counter and to play with any of his guns..............makes a lot of sales with this informal atmosphere........

Pat at G$A prices her B barrels at $359-$379 then shipping and transfer.
    She also has some antique M39s that look pretty good. Would an 1898 M39 be safe to shoot? Thanks for all the input.:):):)

6. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

I thought Tex was a group??:09:

7. SwedeSteve

He could pass for one! Ha-Ha...

Bohica- Is that the tang date, or the barrel date?

8. Not to put too fine a point on it, but M39's didn't start until about 1939. The 1898 would probably be an 1891 SA (Tikka?)

Sounds like a great store, but it's a good thing that gun store isn't close to me, as I would be destitute.:silly: On the street with a shopping cart full of MN's and a dog named boo.:bigeyes2:

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They used the Old Hex Recievers to build the M39's so they could be any year from 1891 up on the tang date....
    Rich

10. Rich, I would think that receivers that old (i.e. ca. 1891-1927) would have been used on the earlier models i.e. P25, 26, 27, etc or M27, M28...

But I guess they just used em as they made or captured them. :)

11. SwedeSteve

No telling for sure. They used whatever they had.

12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They used the Hex recievers in the 60's and 70's for the match target rifles...
    The Finn's must have captured Many Thousands of them from the Russians in the early wars...
    Look at the list of rifles Pat Burns has for sale....
    Rich

13. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I ain't THAT fat!!! Please, I'm sensitive.:sad:

14. Yeah. It wasn't the Hex receiver that was in doubt, but the 1898 date stamp, since my VKT is a Hex, and every one I've seen is as well.

15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You have to Dis-assemble it from the stock and look at the Tang Date on the reciever.!!! Have you done that yet ?
    Rich

16. SwedeSteve

Yep! That's why I asked.

17. A good point, and you know these babies better than I.

Actually I didn't look, but since this is a B barrel... Did they get barrels from Belgium in 1898?

18. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

No...The B Barrels were WW2 production....Put on all The Older Hex recievers !
    My 91 Finn B has a 1906 Sestroryesk reciever...
    Rich

19. SwedeSteve

Wait, I'm getting confused! (Again) BOHICA asked about 2 different M39's, a B barrel, and an antique 1898. I asked barrel or receiver, as a barrel would probably mean a Tikka cut down from a M91. If receiver, then anything is possible!
    Did I miss something?

20. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Steve...:hitwithrock:
    He was on Pat's site where she Lists the Year of the Receivers on her M39's... The Antique classed ones....
    What is so Confusing about that ???