Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my M44 to bag me a nice little 8 pointer last week. Used that cheap russian Bear ammo too. Soft point 203 grain round didn't expand on impact, but desintigrated when is hit the shoulder bone (found lead pieces while cutting him up.) I don't have a digital cam or I'd give you pics.
I'm going to be enjoying venison sausage through this winter, though. Back straps.... mmmmmm.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Congrats and good shooting with that carbine! What was the distance?

It's really too bad you don't have any pics for us. :-(

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About 60 yards with open sights (the rifle is accurate MUCH farther out than that, but I'm not. Gotta get some open sight practice in.) I wanted to bayo him but just poked him in the eye with the muzzle

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Good thing you're using the M44

About 60 yards with open sights (the rifle is accurate MUCH farther out than that, but I'm not. Gotta get some open sight practice in.) I wanted to bayo him but just poked him in the eye with the muzzle
At the range you're shooting, you might not have time to get off more than two or three rounds before an enraged buck engages you hand-to-hoof. Or rather, antler to bayonet...:swordfight:

Just kidding. Congrats on a good kill, and thanks for the info on the bear ammo.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
Good hunting! Congrats!

But, this isn't the first report I've read of the Russian 'hunting' ammo breaking up on impact. Maybe their lead is too hard and brittle?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Good hunting! Congrats!
But, this isn't the first report I've read of the Russian 'hunting' ammo breaking up on impact. Maybe their lead is too hard and brittle?
Yeah, I remember reading about someone warning against using S&B's ( I guess that includes winchester too ) soft point 7.62x54R, because it split apart and ruined a lot of good meat.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Yeah, I remember reading about someone warning against using S&B's ( I guess that includes winchester too ) soft point 7.62x54R, because it split apart and ruined a lot of good meat.
One option is to pull the bullets from the S&B loads and then use a Lee Loader to reload the cases with a decent bullet. I use the Hornady 150gr. S.P. in .303 cal.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I dunno Toolman. Reusing pulled bullets is one thing but I'm not sure that replacing bullets on a live load (without resizing) is a good idea, as the powder loads may be different for a different bullet (i.e. SP vs BT and etc).

Maybe better to use the S&B for practice and then relaod with 180gr Speer or Horniday SP.

Just a thought.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I dunno Toolman. Reusing pulled bullets is one thing but I'm not sure that replacing bullets on a live load (without resizing) is a good idea, as the powder loads may be different for a different bullet (i.e. SP vs BT and etc).

Maybe better to use the S&B for practice and then relaod with 180gr Speer or Horniday SP.

Just a thought.
According to the gentleman that told me about this trick, he's used it for years with no probs. I checked with several local reloaders and the consensus is that the 24 gr. lighter bullets negate any pressure increases that might result from differences in bullet type. I've shot prob. 60 rds. loaded this way with great results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts