Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I need some advice and answers. I hear that an M44 carbine makes a great deer hunting rifle. I wanted to make a deer rifle out of one without destroying it. I take value in historical value of a weapon. Here is my question. Is there a way to remove the front sight and bayonet lug without doing alot of damage and cutting on the rifle or parts? One day i may want to retire it again to collectible status and put it back together. Is that possible? I am looking into a monte carlo stock and S&K scope mount. I think they look pretty sharp in the picture and would like to make one of my own. Any hints, trick, advice, opinions, or answers would be appreciated.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
You can remove the bayo but the lug is a different story. The easiest way by far is to use a scout mount in place of the rear sight. Some folks dislike this setup but once you get used to it, it's great as it allows you to pick up your sight picture much quicker and also allows you to see more of the surrounding area, you know, just in case that monster once-in-a-lifetime buck wanders in stage left just as you are getting ready to squeeze the trigger on his little bro. I've got a cheap 2x20 30mm Tasco on mine mounted on a B-Square mount. My son has a Darrell's mount and a 4x28 Weaver on his which is a much nicer setup but cost about 3x what mine did. The M-44 was made in such great quantities that they most likely won't be considered true "collectibles" for many years but, like you, I don't like butchering a gun if there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about modifying a post-WWII M44 - it has no wartime provenance. Get another dated '44 or '45 for a historical keeper.
Also, you can find Chinese T-53 carbines (M44 clones) dated in the 50's - mine was bubba'd before I bought it, and is a good tight shooter even with iron sights.
It shouldn't be hard to find an already cut-down M44 on the gun auction sites, or at the local gun/pawn shops.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I did see an instructional once on the M44 but compared to the 91/30 and M38 it was going to permanently alter the front to never be the same again.

Your scope will look right thru the front sight anyway without distorting your cross hairs.

How about those Mojo peep sights as an option too? All you replace is the rear sight, no drilling or tapping.

Apparently those Advanced Tech stocks do require a little bit of inletting. Nothing a dremel can't handle.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Installing a scope can be done without permanently changing the Mosin. For $66 puls shipping you can buy a Long Eye Relief (LER) 2-7 x 32 scope and rear sight mount.

eBay: 2-7X32 ZOOM SCOPE & MOUNT FITS MOSIN NAGANT M44 91 38 (item 290134305908 end time Jul-04-07 15:24:34 PDT)

Mounts and adjusts to carbine or long rifle and it works great. I have a weak right eye so the scope is almost a necessity at 100 yards +. This is my 1947. It had been rearsinalled with spare parts but has a beautiful bore and blueing so was a prime candidate for non-destructive sporterizing. I have a Walnut stock coming from Richards this week or next (takes 8 weeks and hopefully worth it). Remove and store the bayonette, as you are not likely to need it for hunting (or target shooting)

My 1948 all matching with cartouched (made up word) stock will remain original as will the 91-30.

Richards Microfit Gunstocks

I modified the Scope mount length to get rid of overhang (its a one size fits all mount). Once you get it sighted in, it's as accurate as you would expect (meaning very). Click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I have the same scope/mount set up as Geo M44 on my 1938 91/30 and a ATI Camo Monte Carlo stock. All works great and can return to original in a short period of time if I wish to do so. Just reinstall the rear sight and the original wood work. Good luck on what ever you decide...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

·
Registered
406 Posts
I was reading that you can remove the front sight and Bayo lug but It's not easy. It's pinned in and they don't really recommend trying it. Although if you were going to takedown the entire rifle you would have to remove it cause you can't get the bands off with out doing that. Here is a link to the entire takedown of the Mosin Nagant Rifles Mosin Nagant Rifle Exploded Views and Disassembly Good luck it's a pretty good rifle for the money. You can find them almost anywhere. I would not trash it up though. Don't let anyone drill or tap it for the scope. Geo 44 has the right idea on the scope I think that is what I am going to go with as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts