close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

M44 Sight/Bayo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bryan Williams, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Bryan Williams

Bryan Williams G&G Newbie

To remove the front sight/bayonet lug of an M44, do you just knock the two pins out then work it off with a wrench?

2. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    You might have to apply a little heat also

3. I didnt know you could remove the bayonet lug.....

My Polish M44 looks like the bayonet lug was fitted and then VERY expertly brazed or welded tight. I would never try to remove the thing from mine because it would totally destroy the barrel, finish, etc but I dont know if all M44s were done the same way. Maybe Russian/Hungarian/Romanian M44s have less permanent lugs?

Good luck!

4. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    It is possible that some M44's from some country's have Brazed or soldered front sight/bayonet fittings the ones I have seen are interference fit with pins.
    Due to the noumerous counrtys that have produced these rifles there isnt any hard and fast "rules" on how the guns where put together. they generally run along the same lines, but there are differences.

5. Bryan Williams

My M44 is a Polish that is fit with pins. All I had to do to get the sight/lug off is knock out the pins, put a cresent wrench on the lug and twist. The finish and blue were gone so i didnt have to worry about messing it up.

6. There must be some big variations in how they were put together. My Polish M44 is brazed. Let us know if you get the lug off. Since mine was purchased in mint condition and still has 99% of its blueing, I have no desire to tinker with it.

I wouldnt mind getting one of those $75.00 Russian (excellent to Like New) ones though and pulling off the bayonet assembly to add a muzzle break....just to see if it makes a difference.

7. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Muzzel brake MMMMMMMMMMM a big Star instead of a beach ball
    Interesting.

8. Bryan Williams

yes, mine came all the way off. Right now its in the process of having the stock redone and gettin ready for blueing.

9. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

any of you guys shot one with a muzzle brake yet? i've seen them advertised but was too chicken to spend the money for one until i find out how well they work.