Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you remove the bayonet mount from an M44 thus making it more like a 38? Inquiring minds want to know..

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Buy an m38 dont ruin an m44 . To me thats like asking If I change the motor mounts in my chevy truck and drop in a ford engine can I make a chevord ? my question to you would be why in the hell would you do that ? They make new chevy engines .

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M38=250.00
M44=139.00
that's one reason..
Thanks
Mark

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
Yes the bayonet can be removed. There is a screw holding it there. However you cannot get rid of the part that it sits in and the screw goes through to secure it.

It would def. feel like something was missing. Especially if yours shoots better with the bayonet on.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Just unscrew the bayonet only and leave the lugs. That lightens up the front end considerably.

It will likely change your point of impact, but it is easy to put the bayonet back on.

·
Premium Member
23,741 Posts
Mark,

Check your inbox. I sent you a P/M that might be of interest to you.

Rex

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
The M44 mounting lug is held in place by 2 pins. It's a PITA to get it off though. However, if you do remove the bayonet mounting lug, the front sight comes with it. It's a sleeve that holds the bayonet mounting lug on. So you'd have no front sight unless you chopped the sleeve which holds the front sight. It doesn't seem worth it. You'd be better off just removing the M44 bayonet, and drifting the front sight to compensate for POI and POA.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Mark you might try any and all BIG5 stores around you i found mine at one here for $99, correct stock, # matching, unreussied, 100% bluing, great wood.
frenchy

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Nice looking rifle Frenchy !!
Converting a M44 into 38 configuration is a huge pain in the rear end !! If you want a carbine for hunting and plan on scoping it, then stripping down a M44 would work. I think saving up for another carbine is the better idea.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys for the info, I was just looking at both and cannot figure why the big difference in price. I've seen some counter bored M38's for sale but up until now I've tried to stay away from the counter board rifles. The question on a carbine is it something to worry about?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
As long as the counter bore is not real deep I would not worry about it . If say its CB an inch its no big deal . From a collectors stand point they are less desirable just because they are less prestine . But as a shooter dude if you want one get one in a few years they will be like finding a needle in a hay stack .

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,122 Posts
I just saw 2 m38's on gunboards usa for $150 just sayin .
If that's the asking price on the M38s, buy 'em quick before the sellers sober up! That's what we're paying for decent 91/30s around here.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
If that's the asking price on the M38s, buy 'em quick before the sellers sober up! That's what we're paying for decent 91/30s around here.
Which is why I have a C&R. I can still get a 91/30 for less than 100 bucks shipped.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts