M44 vs. 91/30

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by thaddy1978, May 22, 2008.

1. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

Tell me, what is your choice and why. I traded my 91/30 the last time the gun show came around, for an M44 laminated stock. I am thinking that I want to change back--got another show coming to town this weekend. What are the advantages/disadvantages? To me they both kick like a mule and I didn't think one was any more accurate than the other. As far as range, the M44 is not too far off from the 91/30, is it? Give me your opinion.

2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I think it all depends on what you plan to do with it. For hunting in close quarters definitely the M44 is a better choice. Shorter faster handling. For range work the 91/30 can not be beat. They have a longer sight radius and some can be capable of superior accuracy. However the longer rifle makes them a little harder to handle for hunting.

IMHO, I prefer the 91/30. Kicks less, and I can shoot mine much better than my m44s. Plus, I do not like the folding bayonet. I fix that problem by buying M38s which are carbines with out the bayonets.

Either way you will have to choose for yourself. Both are great rifles capable of good accuracy and will make great range guns or hunting rifles. I would just buy both and decide later.:09:

3. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

Yeah, I noticed I had better accuracy with my 91/30, but then again, I probably put 200 rounds through that within the first two months of owning it and only 10 rounds in the M44. And I think you're right, the 91/30, I think, kicks less, although I have had bloody elbows shooting both!

4. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

buy a m38 its the bestof both worlds!

5. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I like my 91/30, it just says "RIFLE" to me.

6. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

:scool: Keep em' both...:09:

7. thaddy1978

thaddy1978 G&G Addict

I would keep'em both, but money is a bit on the tight side at the moment. got an 18 month old boy and a little girl due mid-July...I will need diapers out the wazoo!

8. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Gotcha.. I completely understand, and I don't even have any kids.. I just know how much they cost and how fast you can go through them!!!

(You could keep both, though:09:)

9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Sell your blood for a couple weeks and buy both!!! Where are your priorities?!! Diapers vs. Mosins No questions?:09:

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i prefer the 91/30, but then i dont think either kick that hard.

11. jack007

jack007 G&G Addict

Keep the one you have and buy the other ,when you can.I have both and like them both.It would be hard to choose between them if I could only have one.

12. It's painful... I sold my (2) Argentine match grade (1911) pistols, Win 30-30, 9mm PO8 Luger (the real kind), and several other pistols when my kids came along. Luckily, I had enough freinds with firearms to allow the occasional trip to the range.

I didn't start buying rifles again until a few years ago, starting with a 1953 Romainian M44 that I sold before I knew a lot about MN's. Now I have 7 MN's an SKS and a Marlin 795 for plinking.

I think that most of us here know that you gotta do, what you gotta do.

13. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

I don't think it kicks any worse than my Rem 700 30-06.

14. I'm rather partial to my 91/30. Of coarse that feeling is probably influenced by the fact that it was my first high power rifle that I got, plus I worked my butt off for it when I was 15...some how the butt is still there though....lol I like the looks of it better too, just like a tall slinky chick ( an 80 year old tall slinky chick, but none the less) It doesn't hammer me as bad as my M44 either, and I can get those lobs of lead in pretty tight when I put myself to it with her, too. Either way, when you're able to, I'd pick up the which ever one I didn't have anymore. Neither of the two will be drying up anytime soon, so don't sweat it. Good luck bro.

15. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

My Mosins must be defective...They don't kick as hard as my .308 's...
    Kinda like a .270 Winchester....
    I'm using 174 gr. 180 gr. and 200 Gr. Bullets....

16. That's because... You be the moose.. man.

Nuff said.

17. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

:Thinkingof_:I dont think the two of them can really be compared ! The 91x30 is my favorite but I have a couple of M44's also so I guess it depends on what your doing with it!
    Hunting in brush country no question M44.short range target practise(200 yrs or less)
    More open range 91x30 also long range target practise ..
    A good recoil pad will mello out a M44 or 91x30..
    I am going to sell a 91x30 but it isnt because I dont like it its because I have more than I need and looking for another SKS..( I have a few other 91x30 so it makes it a little easier to let one go )
    As far as choice between diapers and rifles , that isnt a choice ! FAMILY FIRST ALWAYS!
    Final choice for me would be the 91x30 :)

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have a few Mosins, and love them all. My favorite is a M91 I bought for parts. Moose talked me into cleaning it up and keeping it! It actually is a pretty accurate rifle too. I like the Long Guns !! Wasn't it billy who called it his Ivan Crockett Rifle?

19. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

I have two rifles I want and one of them is a M91 :)

20. The obvious answer is that you need one of each, so you can shoot them side-by-side and compare. Then of course you need an M38, to compare the balance of a short one with no bayonet. And a 91/59, and an m91, and...

I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many I've piled up in the last four years, since I bought my first 91/30 from Big Five.:)

Last edited: May 24, 2008