M48 BO

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by Don357, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Don357

Don357 G&G Evangelist

What the heck has happened to the price of Yugo Mausers? I ran across a M48 BO in good condition at a gun shop the other day, and granted it was a sporting goods shop known for slightly higher than average prices, but they wanted $750 for the BO, but had a well worn Turk for $175, as well as a Bubba modded Arisaka type 99, also for $175. Made me regret selling my like new M48 for $350 a few years ago.

jwrauch, blaster, Dannyboy53 and 6 others like this.
  2. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    Supply and demand.

Or perceived supply and demand.

3. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Seems the trend with milsurps lately Don. As the supply of 98k Russian captures seems to be drying up considerably the prices of M48 and other milsurps have risen substantially. Guess your LGS dealer is aware. You can bet that Arisaka would be a lot more if Bubba did not get hold of it and was left original. These gun could had for cheap money back in the 60s or 70s. Not anymore.

jwrauch, blaster, Dannyboy53 and 3 others like this.
  4. ethanjordan

ethanjordan G&G Newbie

i was also gonna ask this, makes me regret why i sold my excellently used M48 at a considerably cheap price. guess the price in market has plumated lately.

graybeard and Ron The Legend like this.
  5. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Well the Turks are the least desirable and not sure why but they have always sold fairly cheap. I knew people that collected Mauser rifles but did not want a Turk. Its not any reason like cheap or soft receivers or anything. I am thinking because most were large ring receiver and small ring threads. I have a few of them. The Yugo's in several models were like the last ones I saw with loads of them in this country . They were all over about 10 years ago and could get them $200-$250 from many importers. They are drying up now and still see trickles of them imported here. Usually $350-$450. I have gun shops near me with them and of course the shops are highly marked up. They have Sportered {Bubba'd} Mauser rifles here and $400 or more. Not me. Many have been sitting for years. Same as Enfields, Arisakas and others. Many rusted and pitted and asking over $400 . Its even worse on gunbroker and fleabay and others. People bid them up because they have too much money and no brains. I never use those sites. If you get a good deal, there is a reason why. You will find that out after you bought it.

6. rando

Maryland
    I used to stop in Woolworth store while on the road in my work van years ago. Woolworths had barrels of Military rifles in the floor. Everything from M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, Arisaka, Enfield, Mauser and more $40 to $125 each. If all of us would have known

jwrauch, Gray Wolf, blaster and 2 others like this.
  7. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Yeah amazing Rando. Guess the collector market has driven prices up. Did not care to shoot dad's 98k bringback cause of being a matcher but did buy the BYF 44 super mixer for only $250 back around 95. It was a C.A.I import.

rando likes this.
  8. rando

Maryland
    I have quite a few from many countries but one of my favorites is my Spanish FR8. It is 308 of course and similar to the FR7 . I bought it from another collectors wife after he passed away. It was in cosmoline still and looks new. I also bought a French MAS36 rifle 7.5. That is unissued it looks and was in cosmo also.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    jwrauch and mauser9 like this.
  9. Dannyboy53

Dannyboy53 G&G Evangelist

I feel this accounts for a lot of the ridiculously high prices of arms.

rando and mauser9 like this.
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Agree Dannyboy. Shill bidding and bidding wars can contribute to the ridiculous prices often paid. The unknowing and unwary often duped by false claims.

jwrauch, Dannyboy53 and rando like this.
  11. rando

Maryland
    You are right Danny. Back in the day you would find firearms and do Face to face sales. Either they were in a community paper or newspaper classified ads. Then the computer age came along and instead of a set price they started bidding wars and auctions. Probably one of the worst things for the private firearms buyer. Its good for gun distributors and so forth to show their inventory but I am not into the bidding and auction stuff at all.

jwrauch, mauser9 and Dannyboy53 like this.
  12. Dannyboy53

I have a Swedish Mauser M96 and we have three SKS carbines, a Chinese Type 56, a 1953 Russian Tula and a Yugoslavian SKS. But I in no way consider myself a "collector", I leave collecting to the folks that know what the heck they are doing!

A few years ago I saw a German Mauser (98K) in a gun shop in Heber Springs, Arkansas for $800 but I passed it up because I have read there are so many of these that aren't the real deal.

jwrauch, rando and mauser9 like this.
  13. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Yep 98ks can be a minefield with all the BS going on with em. A straight-up bolt mixmatch often going for $1000 or more with honest matchers can reach $3000 or more on Gunjoker. So many with sanded stocks or over-stamps.

jwrauch, rando and Dannyboy53 like this.
  14. rando

Maryland
    Yeah its a shame that some people get duped into buying something and is overpriced to start with. Then you receive it and find out it was refinished or cracks or fake stamped Eagles and so forth. That is why I have never bought anything sight unseen. I like to see what I am buying personally to inspect it first.

jwrauch, mauser9 and Dannyboy53 like this.
  15. rando

Maryland
    Danny those Swedes are nice. It may be a small ring Mauser but I like the Swedes alot. The 96 and 38 Models are usually all very good condition and nicely machined . I think many of us buy old Milsurp rifles and pistols as a hobby. I look at it as buying a piece of history and preserving it. Very fun to shoot these older rifles. It amazes me that many of my Mauser rifles are over 100 years old and shoot better than some of the modern day deer rifles.

jwrauch and Dannyboy53 like this.
  16. Dannyboy53

I agree with you rando, mine is in awesome condition and shoots very well. The wife is not very big and likes shooting it because of the low recoil as opposed to our Savage .270. She has taken a couple of deer with it when we lived in north Arkansas but prefers not to shoot it!

jwrauch likes this.