Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any opinions about Mauser sporter stocks? I'm making a hunter from an M48. Anyone use that screwed up looking one from ATI?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
H&R stocks fit Mausers. If you can find a 300 Ultra stock they're very nice, just have to open up the barrel channel. Numrich has stocks at good prices.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
i dont think i could bring myself to put that ati stock on a rifle, even an m48. i also dont think you'll get another random stock to fit the m48. if you dont mind doing a little work take a look at richards micro fit gunstocks.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
M48s are some of the nicer Mausers around these days. I'd go for a Turk or VZ 24 for a project gun before a 48.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,360 Posts
I'd consider the M48/M48A ideal, as they have no wartime historical provenance. They are not 'collector items', as most are very recently assembled for the US market. Basically, a NEW high-power rifle for a milsurp price!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I was thinking along the lines of Big Dog. I have other milsurps that have a story behind them, I was thinking the M48 would be my project because it is "new" and really doesn't have a history.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put the Boyds stock on my M48. Took it to the range and it's probably the most accurate "out of the box" rifle I've ever fired. Using milsurp ammo I had 2.5" groups at 100 yds with original open iron sights. The only thing I did to it was restock it. Eventually a scope will be mounted once I decide how I want to mount it.
The only problem I had was every third round or so wouldn't extract correctly. I'm gonna get some higher quality ammo to see if it was just a cheap ammo problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts