Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a reloading die for 7.62X54 Mosin Nagant. My question is M91 Finn rifle are rifled for .308 bullets. I know I need to slug the barrel for bore diameter. I have primed 7.62X54 rounds. Can I load .308s in these cases. Reason when resizing brass will the throat of the case be too large for the .308?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I have a reloading die for 7.62X54 Mosin Nagant. My question is M91 Finn rifle are rifled for .308 bullets. I know I need to slug the barrel for bore diameter. I have primed 7.62X54 rounds. Can I load .308s in these cases. Reason when resizing brass will the throat of the case be too large for the .308?
Depends on the size of the neck sizing rod. Some manufacturers offer different sizes, I know that I have both a .264 and a .267 for my Carcano die set. Basically you can take a .308 bullet and see if it just drops into the case.to see if the cases are sized for larger bullets. I'd slug your bore before going any farther though, if it needs a larger bullet there's no sense in wasting the .308 stuff.

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,942 Posts
I also had a die set and can't recall if it were RCBS or Hornady but it had the two different sized expander balls. I really only used .308 bullets and never had issues except for one rifle that was an 1891 that was never cut to and concerted to a 91/30. Probably because the bore was shot out.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
185 Posts
It depends on what Die set you have. My RCBS set 7.62 x 54 R has a .307 expander ball so .308 will fit snug in the case neck , for .310-311 bullets I have to use the ball from my .303 or 7.7 Dies in it.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a RCBS, thats good to know. I tried loading a cast .311 one round and it came out a disaster. It destroyed the neck of the casing. So your saying to only use resizing die partially to neck the to expand neck to .307?.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
When loading cast bullets you need to get an expander die that will flair the neck of the case like what you do for pistols. If not you will get what you had happen.

One thing you could do is to dump the powder from the cartridge into a container.
Then you could remove the primer decapping pin and run the case up inside the die to where it will size the neck.
Once you finish that, then you put the powder back into the case and seat the .308" bullet.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
185 Posts
Its a RCBS, thats good to know. I tried loading a cast .311 one round and it came out a disaster. It destroyed the neck of the casing. So your saying to only use resizing die partially to neck the to expand neck to .307?.
No , just size as normal for 308 Diameter bullets. AT .307 ID you will have neck tension press fit. For anything much larger bullet diameter wise needs a bigger sizing ball , and Cast Lead bullets need a bell put in the case mouth to load them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a reloading kick the bucket for 7.62X54 Mosin Nagant. My inquiry is M91 Finn rifle are rifled for .308 projectiles. I realize I want to slug the barrel for bore width. I have prepared 7.62X54 rounds. Might I at any point load .308s in these cases. Reason while resizing metal will the throat of the case be excessively enormous for the .308?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I cast Lee .311 185 gr with powdercoating and a gas check.
They have shot fine in my m91fin and M44 soviet rifles
My Finnish is sized 3.11
The M39 where .308
My Tikka m91 is .311
The Soviet M44 is .311
So
Over all the many decades of production. By many country's
You just have to measure your guns bore.
And size and load accordingly.
You can't count on one type or another type to have a reliable bore size.
You just have to measure it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
your size die may not size the case small enough to hold a .308 diameter bullet.
most american dies will, but i wouldn't count on it.
they make calipers for a reason.

i load a metric butt ton of cast bullets.
i do not have an M-die or a neck flair fancy tool of any sort.
if i want a flair on the case i simply bump the case mouth of my 30 cal cases against an 8mm button.
that's enough to get the bullet in the case properly.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
your size die may not size the case small enough to hold a .308 diameter bullet.
most american dies will, but i wouldn't count on it.
they make calipers for a reason.

i load a metric butt ton of cast bullets.
i do not have an M-die or a neck flair fancy tool of any sort.
if i want a flair on the case i simply bump the case mouth of my 30 cal cases against an 8mm button.
that's enough to get the bullet in the case properly.
I do have a 8 mauser die set. I shot some Turkish 8mm in my 98K about knocked me off the bench. Took them apart and loading bullets in new 8mm cases, my loads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts