Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its stamped Steyr M.95 in the receiver and the WN number is 9 on the barrel. Serial stamp in the receiver is xxxxV. Overall length is 39.5 inches which has me thinking its a cavalry carbine that's had a standard carbine stock and metal fittings installed at some point. No S or H stamp is present and the rear sight is the short schritten type.

It got scorched in a fire almost 20 years ago and hadn't been cleaned since. Stock is broken at the rear band with a repair that has me puzzled. Either Bubba got creative in his choice of materials, it was a quick fix by an importer, or its possibly a field repair. Whatever it is, its old. The handguard is split in the front. I was just going to turn it into a wall hanger after some cosmetic work and maybe putting a couple of light handloads downrange just to prove she shoots... but....

Someone did an excellent job lubing it before that fire. Despite not being cased or even covered for most of that time, sometimes stored for years in a garage the bore is actually in EXCELLENT condition. The rust and pitting I thought I was seeing turned out to be some sort of debris that cleaned right out with a .30 cal brush. A couple of patches with bore cleaner and its clean as a whistle. Mechanically its perfect.

Guess I need to find out what to feed the beast. :)

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Its stamped Steyr M.95 in the receiver and the WN number is 9 on the barrel. Serial stamp in the receiver is xxxxV. Overall length is 39.5 inches which has me thinking its a cavalry carbine that's had a standard carbine stock and metal fittings installed at some point. No S or H stamp is present and the rear sight is the short schritten type.

It got scorched in a fire almost 20 years ago and hadn't been cleaned since. Stock is broken at the rear band with a repair that has me puzzled. Either Bubba got creative in his choice of materials, it was a quick fix by an importer, or its possibly a field repair. Whatever it is, its old. The handguard is split in the front. I was just going to turn it into a wall hanger after some cosmetic work and maybe putting a couple of light handloads downrange just to prove she shoots... but....

Someone did an excellent job lubing it before that fire. Despite not being cased or even covered for most of that time, sometimes stored for years in a garage the bore is actually in EXCELLENT condition. The rust and pitting I thought I was seeing turned out to be some sort of debris that cleaned right out with a .30 cal brush. A couple of patches with bore cleaner and its clean as a whistle. Mechanically its perfect.

Guess I need to find out what to feed the beast. :)
Scorched in a fire? Makes me wonder if there was any heat damage or weakening of the barrel. Anyways it will certainly be a shoulder thumper. I reload for two of mine. It's the only way I can afford to feed them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No chance on fire damage to the barrel. Scorched may have been too strong a word. It got hot enough to bubble the finish, the wood itself wasn't affected at all. No way the barrel was heat damaged in that situation.

I think I have to hand load to feed this one, period. I'm 99% certain its still chambered for 8x50. Either I handload, rebarrel, or I don't shoot it at all. I'm of the opinion that guns I can't shoot have no purpose so that last is not an option.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Still the original 8X50? Hoo boy, don't even know where you would find brass for that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts