Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about the rifles Kimber refurbished a few years back. They were the Czech. M98 and they made them hunting rifles. I was questioning the quality of these guns and the value. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I remember that Kimber rebuilt some M96 Swedish Mausers. They were chambered in .308 as I remember. I do not remember them using any Czech actions. Why would you think that a Czech action would be of poor quality? The Czech metallurgy has turned out to some of the best infact the VZ-24 used a homogenous steel that was through hardened and not carburized like the German 98 actions...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was not questioning the quality of the Czech action, I just didn't know how well Kimber did on their re-build of this gun. I saw one in the 7mm mag. with a stainless fluted barrel but just did not if they had any problems with these guns or not. The action was the main thing that peaked my interest in this gun and Kimber usually turns out a fine quality finished product but no one seems to know about these older re built guns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kimber M98

I was not questioning the quality of the Czech action, I just didn't know how well Kimber did on their re-build of this gun. I saw one in the 7mm mag. with a stainless fluted barrel but just did not if they had any problems with these guns or not. The action was the main thing that peaked my interest in this gun and Kimber usually turns out a fine quality finished product but no one seems to know about these older re built guns.

I bought one about three years ago. It has a medium heavy weight, fluted stainless barrel. The wood is better than average as you would expect from Kimber. It is an average to better than average shooter. Function is fine. The only problem is Kimber(?) didn't install the bushing that lines the rear action screw hole. This is a necessity on Mauser 98 actions. Consequently, the stock wrist is slightly split. I got it mostly for the VZ24 action, but hate to throw away that nice stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts