close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Magazine fed Semi auto .22lr

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by dwrestle, Mar 11, 2013.

1. dwrestle

dwrestle G&G Addict

I am looking into buying a magazine fed .22, and I don't know which one to buy. I already have a Winchester 74 that shoots amazing, and a Marlin Model 60(18 shot) that I haven't spent nearly enough time shooting to know, but I love the looks of it. Both of those guns are tube fed, and I really would like to have a magazine fed .22. I want something with decent accuracy, that looks nice(think SKS not AR), and doesn't cost a whole lot.

I have heard a lot of bad about the Ruger 10/22, and the Marlin Model 60(795), but no experince of my own to know anything myself. I haven't heard much about any of the other .22's out there. Mainly the 10/22, and the Marlin 795, and then someone will bring up AR looking .22's that cost 300-600 dollars that I think are ugly, and don't want anyway. So try to sway my decision guys I probably won't be buying for a while anyway.

2. JDubia

JDubia G&G Regular

I like my 10-22!

3. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Phillipine company Armscor makes a very nice line of twentytwo rifles. My Armscor Model 20C has a stock obviously copied after the Ruger 10-22, but a tubular reciever similar to the Remington 550 and Mossberg 152, and takes an OEM 10 round magazine with a 15 round mag available - Numrich carries both and they are steel and more robust than many twentytwo magazines. In the several years I have owned and shot it, it has NEVER jammed or failed - which is certainly not true of my Ruger 10-22.
    Prices tend to be very competitive to US rifles. It is a true "Steel & Wood" rifle, very little plastic.

This is a pic of the Model 20C from Google Images - my stock is much better figured.

[​IMG]

5. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Evangelist

You should follow the ,"want and need" , principal. You already own 2. Adding another gets you the ......want. Get something else in a different cal. Clip fed. Much better money management.

6. Nerd

Nerd G&G Addict

I have a Marlin 795 and like it a LOT. It's very basic (nylon stock, blued barrel, open sights) but it lets me shred a sticky note at 50 yards from a standing position. YMMV.

They're available with scopes now, too, though I haven't fired one of those.

7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Ruger 10/22 is the modern day version of the VW Beetle.

They are EVERYWHERE for good reason.

8. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Savage Arms

Savage has semi auto magazine fed 22 rifles.

9. Big Dog

Hehehe..... I have, at last count, over thirty rimfire rifles. I guess I passed the 'need' stage long ago. There's just so many variations, it becomes an obsession to get something a bit different! :cool2:

10. hey_poolboy

hey_poolboy G&G Addict

I realize that there are people that have bad things to say about the 10/22 but you can find things like that about ALL guns.
    There are two 10/22 riles in my house. One is 25 years old and has thousands and thousands of rounds through it. I won't say that it hasn't ever had a problem, but they have been so minor and so seldom that I don't remember any of them.
    The other one is my wife's and has only a few hundred rounds under it's belt. That one has NEVER had an issue.
    It's supremely customizable, and loads of fun to shoot. If you're lucky you can get your hands on one of the new bx25 x 2 mags that get you 50 rounds. Not my cup of tea, but they do look like something I may invest in before a capacity limit goes into place.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

11. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

I have a ruger 10/22 that has been through many different stocks, aftermarket parts and still keeps on trucking. I now have it back in its original stock, almost completely stock except for a few bits and pieces. Its a joy to shoot with either the stock irons or a 4x30 scope that i keep in it with quick detach rings.

It's a good gun that is accurate, reliable, dependable, lightweight and well..fun.

12. flyingbrkracing

flyingbrkracing G&G Enthusiast

I have a 795 and it was kind of a let down,the rear sight was loose in the dovetail and the scope grooves looked like they were cut by a third grade art class. Once those problems were taken care of it works as good as my other Marlins. The only thing I want to do is replace the trigger.
    I have never owned a 10/22 but have shot a few,and would buy one but they seem to be like gold around here lately.
    My Dad has a Savage 64 he got as a combo at a big box, He likes it well enough but the scope bases kept loosening up until I lock-tite-ed them. He also has had FTF and FTE issues that were more than ammo related.A little tweaking on the mags seemed to take care of it for now.

13. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Marlin 60. nice thick, accurate barrel.

14. Big Dog

Since I like things a little 'different' from the madding crowd, when I finally decided to get a Ruger 10-22, I did not want the usual Carbine. My local Wally's had the "WalMart Special", with longer 22" barrel in stainless, matching silver finish receiver, and fuller rifle-style stock - it fit's me better. I could not stand Ruger's gawd-aweful proprietary 'wood' finish, so I stripped the stock and refinished in Honey Maple stain. Now I can actually see the nich woodgrain the Ruger finish hid!
    Added a TO9 rail and rings, painted silver and a silver Simmons 3-9X32 scope. Gotta love a Blonde! :cool2:

[​IMG]

15. linemo

linemo G&G Regular

10/22 is probably the best 22 I have ever owned because its reliable accurate and there are accessories out the wazoo for it. Buy one and you wont be dissapointed

16. electro3

electro3 G&G Newbie

Love mine as well. More fun than the law should allow. I believe they're still $149.00 out the door at Gander Mountain.

17. Levergun4570

Levergun4570 G&G Newbie

I have a Remington 597, bull barrel, and a nice wood stock, it shoots really nice. I've never had a problem with it, but then again I only shoot CCIs( this gun has never seen any Federal, Remington, or anything else). My friend has a 10/22 and he loves it, I've shot it and it shoots great. There are so many options, just do some more shopping around.

18. winston64

winston64 G&G Evangelist

Armscor has come out with new models an M22 carbine with the same outlines of a 10/22 and a Mig 22 with an AR outline with the same bolt setup as the M22. Have fired them both and was impressed with the function and accuracy.

19. Funnelrider

Funnelrider G&G Newbie

I first want to say I have the utmost respect for tradition and will be the first to say I believe the traditional wooden stock 22's are some of the most desired and collectable firearms out there. But I would like to suggest an AR type 22 and here is why. If you want to have fun at the range or wherever you shoot, just let your trigger finger cut loose with a 25 round mag full of 22lr's. Plus you can buy any type of garbage you want to hang on it. Most of your top mfg's are pretty reliable and have few ftf's or fte's. They probably won't ever become a classic collectable, but if you already have a couple of the "good ole boys", why not step out and let the lead fly. Some can even handle a drum. So for some cheap entertainment or cheap therapy for some, I say get at least one plastic pea shooter and play for a while. JMHO, :)

20. White Rook

White Rook G&G Evangelist

I bought a GSG 522D and a Chiappa M-4 for my 15 year old daughter to shoot. She likes the 522D the best because it has a red dot scope on it..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted