close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mags & FTF

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paul I, May 23, 2002.

1. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

Tried out my new FAL yesterday. One of the mags would not feed radway but was fine withSA. Are mags fussy about type of ammo used or is this to be trashed? Some of my mags won't hold action open Good thing there cheap.

Paul I

2. That's news to me. try polishing the inside of teh feed lips with 600 grit emery cloth and see if that helps. The BHO problem sounds like there may be a weak spring, too.

3. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

Phil a weak spring on the mags?. The FTF was really odd.I marked the mag and will try it next time. Just got the refinished DSA kit amazing. I got a new arg barrel too but I'm not sure if the G1 barrel is good it's clean no pitting. i don't know how to tell.

4. Weak springs can happen, depending on where they came from. I've never seen one on a Belgian, Austrian, or Izzy mag, but I have some mags of unknown origin which are suspect. 'Course my Izzy mags were NIW.

You should be able to look down the barrels towards a light and determine which one has sharper rifling. Did the Argie come with a gas block? If it did, you will have to have a different sight post and different rear aperture to match. If it didn't then you will have to swap out the gas block from the G1 barrel. If you decide to do the latter, email me and I'll help you. It's easy to screw up a gas block while removing it if you are not careful.

5. Paul I

Paul I G&G Newbie

How many buildsdo you think takes to justify buying all the stuff needed. I'm going to get the hollow ground srewdiver any way. I have 2 recievers 3 kits 1 complete ARS rifle. I'm leaning toward having 1 a year built by a smith.

6. Justification? We don't need no stinking justification! :) :) :)

I dunno. I've never done a cost-benefit analysis. I didn't buy a receiver wrench till my 4th build. Now I have a park tank, sandblaster, compressor, bench grinder, lathe... You get the picture.