Major Enfield bummer!

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by killsnapz, Oct 6, 2010.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Well I got all excited as my new Enfield No4 MkI showed up today. I open it up and inspected it. It look just like it sis in the pictures. I was happy. Really nice wood strong bore peep sights. It had been refurbished obviously at one point and it look good. I installed the bolt and then something caught my eye. There was a small hole in the side of the receiver. At first I thought no big deal it was far enough back in the side of the reciever. So I slide a .303 round into the chamber and looked through the hole and I could see the rim! The add did not mention anything about this rifle having the reciver drilled and it was done in a very weird way. Right a the edge of the chamber not in the middle. The seller had a great feedback so I was pretty confident it was not intentional. So I dialed the phone hoping he was the stand up guy that his feed back score reflected. The phone rang twice and I was talking to the owner himself. He pulled up the add and apoligised for this major defect not being listed. He is sending me a UPS pick up slip and is paying for the shipping both ways and is going to refund my money when it arrives back to him. Man I am just so bummed out! This No4 had some of the nicest wood I have seen on a No4 in a long time and it had the ladder sites and included a bayonet!

Michael

2. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Bummer on the deal not working out, but you dodged the proverbial bullet.

Kudos to the 'stand up guy'!

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Darn, sorry to hear that, but good they are taking care of the situation.

4. ChaZam

Michael, looking at the pics on the G/B listing I don't see any thing out of the ordinary. If you are talking about the hole on the left side just to the rear of the handguard, it is supposed to be there.

Here is a pic of my No4 Mk2.

Attached Files:

5. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Yeah I am curious but not dumb enough to try and find out if the rifle would fire safely. Very strange to see a small diameter hole in that location. It actually did not go through the barrel just the reciever. I have to wonder was someone trying to mount a scope and just screwed up? What a shame. A real nice looking No4 all the way around and its trashed. I am so bummed out the only way I was going to feel better was to post it here. You guys are the only ones who could understand how bummed out I was when I found the receiver was trashed.

Michael

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

That's what I was about to post as well. That is a gas escape port that allows gas from a ruptured case to escape harmlessly out the side with out blowing up the rifle.

7. ChaZam

^^^

Michael, as Tex and I are trying to point out, if you are referring to the small hole on the left side just aft of the handguard it is supposed to be there. On the other side there is a semi-circular cutout that is also part of the system that would vent combustion gasses to the sides in the event of a head separation.

The receiver isn't trashed, unless you are referring to something I don't see in the G/B pictures.

8. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thats the same hole mine has! What the heck is it? Here are some pictures of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This rifle was sold to me as a No4 Mk I but it looks exactly like your No4 Mk II? I have No ! Mk III's and No4 Mk I's So I have nothing to compare it to if it is a No4 MkII. You have fired the rifle in the picture? If you shoot yours then I would feel safe that this rifle was just mislabeled and keep it. Thanks for educating me. I am alot happier now!

Michael

9. ChaZam

The main difference in the No4 MkI and the No4 MkII is the manner in which they attached the triggers. All of them have that gas vent hole. If a case head separated and there were no provisions for venting the gas out to the sides it would probably exit to the rear of the receiver into the shooters face. It looks to me like you have a very nice No4 MkI.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Man you guys are the best! You made my night so much better! I can faintly read on the reciever that it is stamped No4 MkI. I have never seen the venthole but all of my Enfields are No1 MIII's I asked the seller and he did not know what the whole was either. I am going to take some more pictures of the whole rifle now and post them up.

Michael

11. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Whew :scared1: that was close! Way ta catch that ChaZam and tex!! Soo glad she's ah keeper Michael!!!
    frenchy :D

12. ChaZam

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  13. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks ChaZam and Tex for educating me on the No4! Yes I see the cut out on the right side of my both of my No1's. I have handled No4's before and looked at alot of pictures before and I don't know how I never noticed the hole on the left side of the receiver before. Anywho without furthur ado here are some more pictures. She has a couple of repairs on the stock but very few dings as you can see. Also the right side of the reciver has no markings but an arrow? the left side hase the serial and some other number punched in that I do not understand?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael

14. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Nice looking rifle, glad you got things figured out with the hole. Now I have to go look at my No 4 Mk II to see if it has one.

15. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks Kaybe. I still can't believe I never noticed that hole on a No4 before. I guess it's true you learn something new each day.:Eyecrazy:

Michael

16. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

so...I take it you are keeping it now ???

17. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Heck Ya!!!!

Michael

18. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

That is a nice rifle! Glad we got it figured out!

19. SNO4MKI

SNO4MKI G&G Newbie

Looks like a keeper killsnapz. I looked the pics over last night and was going to respond this AM that I was unable to find a problem with the rifle; however, it looks like ChaZam and Tex are just a little quicker than I am.

Here are a few more pics to put you at ease:

Attached Files:

20. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist

I'm chuckling to myself, I grew up shooting my dad's Long Branch, and thought all Enfields had that vent hole, untill I saw some WW1 vintage rifles at gunshows. So you learned something new and have a nice rifle to boot.