Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The latest crop to choose from lol. I would love one of each.

Steyr Mannlicher Mod L (posted before and still for sale)

Cool spiral-forged barrel on these.

Mauser Werke 4000
Musical instrument Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun

Heym SR10

Steyr Mannlicher Mountain Rifle. Also has that spiral forged barrel but they blasted off the cool diamond shaped facets from the hammer forging during sand-blasting. If it had polished, blued metal it would be mine!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
The latest crop to choose from lol. I would love one of each.

Steyr Mannlicher Mod L (posted before and still for sale)

Cool spiral-forged barrel on these.

Mauser Werke 4000
View attachment 180045

Heym SR10

Steyr Mannlicher Mountain Rifle. Also has that spiral forged barrel but they blasted off the cool diamond shaped facets from the hammer forging during sand-blasting. If it had polished, blued metal it would be mine!

That matte finish is what they do with the SSG69. Ain't the prettiest. All about performance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hadn't noticed those spiral barrels before. Are attractive though. Like the wood and those rosewood forends on that one. Funny how walnut and glossy bluing used to be the norm for the longest time. Nowadays synthetic, carbon, fiberglass are used for stocks on many firearms. And some of those stocks ain't cheap either depending on materials used in construction. A Weatherby Lazer Mark was my dream back in the 80s but that price was too steep for me unfortunately. Sure looks like a showpiece though!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hadn't noticed those spiral barrels before. Are attractive though. Like the wood and those rosewood forends on that one. Funny how walnut and glossy bluing used to be the norm for the longest time. Nowadays synthetic, carbon, fiberglass are used for stocks on many firearms. And some of those stocks ain't cheap either depending on materials used in construction. A Weatherby Lazer Mark was my dream back in the 80s but that price was too steep for me unfortunately. Sure looks like a showpiece though!
I was lucky enough to find an as-new Vanguard Lazerguard a while back. It is a beautifulk rifle and probably my hands-down favorite though it's almost too pretty to shoot.

I really do like the wood stocks. I have 2 rifles w. synthetic stocks. One is a Webley & Scott Empire (based on Howa 1500) and the other a Vanguard Weatherguard. They are comfortable and grippy to shoot but I always feel like they would be better with wood. The Webley & Scott came from the factory with 2 stocks, one synthetic, one walnut and rosewood but the synthetic stock on it is really nice. I think it is a Hogue over-molded stock and almost feels like Alcantara. It has a really nice fluted and tapered fore end with a flat bottom and is really comfortable shooting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep those Weatherbys sure were gorgeous. Even the run-of -the-mill guns like the 700, 70, or Ruger 77 often seem fancy with walnut and polished bluing seem more custom lately but were very common for reasonable money back in the 60s-80s. They should be worth a premium on the used gun market these days. Guess materials have gone through the roof lately .

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,360 Posts
Years ago, when I was unfortunately between jobs, I went to an apartment sale that had advertised some artwork I thought I might be able to negotiate for. The gent that had contracted for the sale was richer than God, one of the Holleriths (as in the IBM Holleriths). And he was selling some of his personal rifles, absolutely glorious pieces, mostly from the 1950s. They had been made to fit his father, and did not fit him, so ...

The rifles were works of art, the finest walnuts and ebonies, with genuine ivory spacers, the kind of thing we all fantasize about owning after we win the lottery. He and I got on a treat, and he offered me a 7x57 Mauser that had been used on safari to hunt for the pot at a price which was absurdly low for what it was. If I had been working, I'd have snapped it up in a heartbeat even if it had meant eating pasta for a month (ask Her Imperial about the time we came on a genuine, named artist Hudson Valley School painting that we acquired at an estate sale run by a pro), but right then I could just not afford it. But I at least got to handle them, which is more than most shooters ever get to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I caught the European bug several years ago when I finally got my holy grail gun a model 1905 Mannlicher Schoenauer in 9x56ms. Next I got a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62mm. My newest is a Mauser 98 made by William Karl in Germany in 1940 in 7x57mm. Each one epitomizes old world craftsmanship. All are great hunting rifles of blued steel and walnut stocks. However one of my favorite still hunting rifles remains a Remington model 14A pump rifle in 30 Remington made in 1920. The new rifles may be more accurate but they have no soul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts