close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Manufacturing Assault Weapon

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Apr 16, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Does anyone know if it would be legal for a regular FFL holding gunsmith to assemble assault weapons, test them, and demonstrate them to market them to law enforcement?
    Example: Assembling an HK-G3A4 parts kit with telescoping stock, marking the receiver as required by law.
    And what about class 3 weapons?

2. There are various licenses and tax stamps for the different categories. To be a Class II manufacturer, you must become a Special Occupational Taxpayer. The details are on the ATF web site. I know a couple. Based on the hoops they jump through, I really wonder if it is worth the hassle. Plus one has to really wonder why cops would need that kind of hardware (I know why they want it).

3. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

BR, check the BATF home page. A buddy of mine was interested in this, but decided the hoops and red tape were just not worth it. Besides the BATF regs concerning class II manufacturers, you also probably need an occupational license, beaucoup insurance, and need to meet any local zoning regs, etc. This is not for the sqeamish!

4. BattleRifleG3

What about semi-auto assault weapons?

5. Big Dog

Check out this site (the BATF Homepage):

www.atf.treas.gov/

Here's a tidbit from the horses mouth, so to speak:

(A7) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle? [Back]

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
    However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
    imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
    approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

Basically, I think it would not be a good idea to do this.

6. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

wow, just for a toy, its easier to fill out the title paperwork and buy one already legal.

7. BattleRifleG3

I was thinking along the lines of assembling quality weapons for local police forces. By quality, I mean something useful, not just trendy. I'm talking HK-91a4, or AR-10 with tele-stock and flash hider. I'm talking FALs and AKs, all of which are decent weapons but are generally not marketed to US law enforcement. I want police to carry quality weapons made to the specs of people who know what they want, who know what does the job, and know how to use them, not the trendy weapons that aren't as widely useful as they claim to be. Basically, an AR-15 and MP5 are not always the right weapons. I want to give police choices. Not that I'm in business or anything, just have ideas.

8. Big Dog

BR, I wasn't trying to put you off it, if you really want to. I like to see the cops get the best tools they can, given the job they have to do. It's just a lot of trouble to go through.
    We have a local Class II manufacturer who does exactly this type of work, and enjoys it. Our local LEO chiefs are very supportive. The Assistant Chief in a neighboring county has the machinegun shoots on his farm property. It's great going there, and getting to handle these weapons. The guy is a real artist in metal.
    It's a fascinating job, but it does take a lot of work. Good luck with it.

:assult:

9. Personally, I think a Marlin 30-30 lever gun and the occasional bolt action is plenty of rifle for law enforcement work. It's not firepower that LEOs need, it's marksmanship. They are not in the business of displacing large units and occupying territory.

10. BattleRifleG3

So you'd need the same FFL as for full autos and other class IIIs? I thought a regular FFL could order assault weapons for sale to law enforcement. Is that true?

11. Mike the JAG

Mike the JAG G&G Newbie

I've talked to J.D. Jones at SSK Industries. The red tape is horrific. Unless you were going to go into business full time, the headaches wouldn't be worth it.