Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have any experience with these? I'm thinking of getting one for silhouette shooting.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i want to be able to use .38 ammo in it as well as my revolver

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to put a tang sight on it. for cowboy sillywet

·
Registered
223 Posts
i saw 2 new 1894's in 357 for sale at gander mountain sporting goods in holland ohio last week. if you want to shoot 38 special get a 1894 cb in 38 special. check out marlin owners .com for more info about shooting 38 special in the 357 1894's. i have one made in 1980 with a micro groove barrel not a ballard cut one,. i've shot 38 special in it but i don't make a habit out of it.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Seems like a decent gun to me, great for Cowboy Action shooting.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i saw 2 new 1894's in 357 for sale at gander mountain sporting goods in Holland Ohio last week. if you want to shoot 38 special get a 1894 CB in 38 special. check out marlin owners .com for more info about shooting 38 special in the 357 1894's. i have one made in 1980 with a micro groove barrel not a Ballard cut one,. I've shot 38 special in it but i don't make a habit out of it.
thanks for the tip. apparently shooting .38 out of one will leave a lead/carbon ring ,but it can be cleaned up. i want the option of using either cal. ammo so i will go with the .357/.38sp.

they only weigh 6lbs. so it will go easy on my bad shoulder. heavy guns hurt it.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
billy I can't picture you with a lever gun because of the other type firearms you own. BUT I think you'll love a Marlin 357 lever rifle.
You'll enjoy the fit and comfort of shouldering it, the lite weight and it would be an excellent home defense weapon considering the amount of ammo it holds.
I personal love marlin leveraction rifles I have owned 3 or 4 over the years.
Go for it, I don't think you'll regret buying one. ...A.H

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
billy I can't picture you with a lever gun because of the other type firearms you own. BUT I think you'll love a Marlin 357 lever rifle.
You'll enjoy the fit and comfort of shouldering it, the lite weight and it would be an excellent home defense weapon considering the amount of ammo it holds.
I personal love marlin leveraction rifles I have owned 3 or 4 over the years.
Go for it, I don't think you'll regret buying one. ...A.H
well AH ,i just decided i wanted a cowboy setup so..here goes ! BTW i think ive got the home defense weapon angle covered!:09:

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey billy have you looked into the 44mag Marlin ??? ...A.H
yes i have and i dont want to pay for the ammo.i can get factory loaded .38 for 12cts. a pop at the local gunstore. im doin this cheap and ive already got a .357/.38 peashooter that i need a holster for.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love my Marlin in 357/38. After you get used to the 357, it feels like an air rifle when you touch off a .38.

There is a guy on another forum that is dead against shooting 38s in one. He maintains that it does serious damage to the rfle. I have talked to a lot of people, and nobody will back him up.

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the owners manual says to clean it throughly after shooting .38 ammo it leaves a carbon/lead ring. i am buying it with every intention of using mostly handloaded .38s in it.

if its good enough for everyone at my club to use with .38s its good enough for me

·
Premium Member
30,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks buddy! ya wanna know a secret? i cant wait either!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts