Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has been wanting a "brush gun", and I am having a hard time deciding between the 1895 in 45-70, or the Model 444 in .444 Marlin, which one would you get? Personal accounts with either rifle would be much appreciated.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the persuasion, Moose, I was actually leaning towards the 1895, because the 45-70 seems to be a more versatile cartridge.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I shoot 340 grain,350 grain, 405 grain, and 500 grain bullets, and they all have a Push type of recoil that is very manageable due to the heavy slow bullet...405 grain flat nose seem to be the best and most accurate from my tests...and yes it is versatile and fun to shoot !
Rich

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will try some 350 flat nose bullets, run em up to about 2100 fps, make good pig killer. Thanks for the input, Moose.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Interesting. I kind of like the 444 marlin, just because I see it as a compromise between the 45-70 and the 450 marlin. The 45-70 may be more avaible, it all depends on the area.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've always liked both rounds, but the 45-70 seems to be a little cheaper and a lot easier to find IIRC...

I don't have experience with either gun, but I'd go 45-70.

Or just get both then send me whichever you like least. :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have had a guidegun for several years and would not get rid of it for anything. The 45-70 is much more versatile than the .444. You can shoot bullets of a much wider range than you can with the .444. There is nothing wrong with the .444. I just believe the 45-70 is an all around better cartridge.

Here is my GG

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an old Marlin in 444 and have killed a lot of dear with it, but I also have a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70. I like the 45-70 better for longer range and versitility, plus you can find factory ammo a whole lot easier, if you don't reload.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Was "45-70" and "Long Range" just put into the same sentence?

Back in the 1800's , when it was Uncle Sam's standard caliber , the military hels 1,000 yard compition .

I think some black powder shooters still do ?

I do not want to make anyone mad , but for a hand loader , the main difference is how hot do you want to go .

Hot lever action pressure level reloads make the 450 Marlin un-necessary . .45-70 brass is cheaper .

And compared to the .444 , the .444 is pretty mush a souped up .44 Mag , in reality ( the brass is longer & more expensive than .44 Mag , holding more powder ) .

Do not think the .444 is even in the same ball park when you start loading heavy bullets in .45-70 . And I would say that greater than 405 grain is the start of heavy bullets , in .45-70 .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
The 1895 45/70 is the best choice plus it has a longer barrel 22" than the guide guns 18.5".
I know your aware of the XLR series rifles and the new Hornady cartridges. These all have a 24" barrels.
I know you've mentioned owning a 45/70 in one of your post, so if you decide to buy him the 444 I would appreciate all the info you can give on that caliber. Good Luck Mike

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 1895 45/70 is the best choice plus it has a longer barrel 22" than the guide guns 18.5".
I know your aware of the XLR series rifles and the new Hornady cartridges. These all have a 24" barrels.
I know you've mentioned owning a 45/70 in one of your post, so if you decide to buy him the 444 I would appreciate all the info you can give on that caliber. Good Luck Mike
Yes, I own an NEF Handi Rifle, in 45-70, great little brush gun. I think I am going to buy him the Model 444, I have a lot of lead cast 44 bullets lying around, and I can load some of those up for practice. All I have to do is buy some .444 Marlin brass. Thanks for the input fellas, and Ark, I will let you know how she does.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
My son has been wanting a "brush gun", and I am having a hard time deciding between the 1895 in 45-70, or the Model 444 in .444 Marlin, which one would you get? Personal accounts with either rifle would be much appreciated.
With hand-loads my Marlin 1895,45-70-Gov, is right on the tail of the 458 Winchester Magnum,now that's not bad for a North American Beast Killer.I do load down for Deer,and jack it up for Bear.And it's not cosmetically belted like the 450 Marlin.

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With hand-loads my Marlin 1895,45-70-Gov, is right on the tail of the 458 Winchester Magnum,now that's not bad for a North American Beast Killer.I do load down for Deer,and jack it up for Bear.And it's not cosmetically belted like the 450 Marlin.
Ya know, I had been giving the 45-70 a bad rap as of late, now that I go back and look in the load books, its an excellent cartridge, with an ample amount of power to take any NA game within its given range. My favorite load was a 350 Grain flat point at 2150 fps. I am truly sorry for overlooking it, it just didn't seem appealing after I started shooting the .338 and .375 Mags.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Ya know, I had been giving the 45-70 a bad rap as of late, now that I go back and look in the load books, its an excellent cartridge, with an ample amount of power to take any NA game within its given range. My favorite load was a 350 Grain flat point at 2150 fps. I am truly sorry for overlooking it, it just didn't seem appealing after I started shooting the .338 and .375 Mags.
I find with my 1895 Marlin 45-70, 400&405,Gr bullets work best when it comes to accuracy and knockdown power.With zeroing in at the bench with Max-Loadings,I do recommend the use of a sissy-bag,to avoid a black&blue shoulder or whores,developing the dreaded flinch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts