Marlin 1895 S

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by SwedeSteve, Sep 6, 2010.

1. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Picked up this old 45-70 at a garage sale yesterday. It is really beat up and rusty (pics later). Guy said it was his Dad's "Cabin Gun". I asked what he wanted for it and he said $125 !! He settled for $100 in cash.

Does anyone have a list of manufacture dates ??

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

They were made from 1972-1984. The Early "pre-Microgroove"Barrels were suitable for Cast Lead Bullets. Early guns had a straight stock, and a Traditional receiver. Does the Serial Number have a "B.O." prefix ???
    Rich

3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Nice find!

Does the action work, properly?

4. SwedeSteve

No prefix or suffix letters, pistol grip stock, plain uncheckered forearm, plain blued receiver, microgroove barrel. Ser # 180661XX.

Everything is working on it, its just really dirty/rusty metal and the stock has several dents and scrapes.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Charlie The Crazy Alaskan will buy it from you...He has been looking for one.

6. nice find :D

Ya I have been looking for one. Guess I should start hitting up garage sales more often lol.

7. SwedeSteve

I've been cleaning her up, and bought a box of ammo. I'll shoot the old gal and see what she can do. Borer cleaned up real nice !!

8. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal out of it then :D

9. SwedeSteve

Its still pretty rough, but I'm hoping she'll shoot straight !!

10. Steve sounds like you've made a Great buy. Do me a favior ? Check and see if the fireing pin protrudes out the bolt face before you rack a live round into the chamber.
    It might go boom when you don't want it to.

11. SwedeSteve

I just checked and it doesn't seem to be.

12. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

They are tough guns.

13. SwedeSteve

This one sure had to be.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Best of luck there Steve. ,,,sam.

15. SwedeSteve

16. SwedeSteve

Finally:

Attached Files:

17. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Wow!!!

You got an AWESOME deal!

Clean it up and SHOOT that thang!

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Thats great!Glad to hear you got a good deal.One question.When you get it all cleaned up and working good,can I borrow it? (only for about 10yrs,thats about as long as I will probably last.) ,,,sam.

19. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Microgroove barrels are quite nice with Cast Lead Boolits :D

Thing is, you have to match the bullets to the barrel...meaning a little research is in order.

Basicaly, without making this a scientific treatise that would make your head hurt...
    test different bullets and measure them with a micrometer...the fatter in the proper range, the better.

What you end up with, via handloading/careful lead ammo choice, is basically match ammo for that barrel.
    Marlins TEND to work better with fatter cast bullets.
    Work WAY better if you CAST YOUR OWN...and you also take the time to expand the bullet mold hole ever so slightly.
    Remember, Micro-grooves are SMALLER, More Numerous...so they seal gas more effectively with the Right Size Bullet.
    Which also means the barrel has a slightly larger bore than standard...so normal ammo ain't as good.
    Which when mated with a properly sized bullet, gives you more FPS.

If you want the science behind it...we did that in another post a few days ago.

One more thing: Cast bullet shooting is usually not just a matter of loading bullets into cases and firing them.
    You have to use the correct alloy for the velocity and cartridge you are shooting, you have to choose the right lube
    (usually commercially cast bullets use the easiest lube to apply, not always the best),
    & the right bullet shape + diameter + configuration.
    I would hate for someone to try one bullet, not have success and announce to the world that cast bullets and his brand and type of rifle are incompatable, because that means they've not done their research properly.

Or...just order from Beartooth Bullets...they make it easy.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  20. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

you lucky dawg!