Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just obtained a old Marlin 1895 .45 -70 in trade from person I did some fence work for. I say old because it doesn't have that ugly cross bolt safety on it. I thought about maybe taking it to the deer woods here in couple of weeks, and I was wondering what type of load would be appropriate for the thin skinned white tail. I know that the .45-70 packs a wallop, but how severe is it from an approximately 7 lb rifle with a 22 inch barrel?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Not an afficionado of the 45-70 at all myself, but the regular factory loads, say by Remington, are far milder than what the rifle is capable of. While it does pack a wallop, the slow moving bullet does more crushing than exploding, and while cleanly killing deer when placed correctly, is not a destroyer of meat. I'd suggest taking a regular factory load and becoming familiar with the ballistics. While it should have enough power at a number of ranges, its trajectory will be pretty curved. Accurate assessment of range will be crucial.

Regarding how much of a wallop it packs into you, I've found that leverguns have unusually painful recoil, I guess due to their structure and shape. I'd look into a serious buttpad.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mind a heavy recoil, but don't like being kicked hard no more than anyone else does. I've never bought a recoil pad, so who makes the best one out there?

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
I am totally comfortable with the likes of the 30-06, 7.62x54mm, and 8x57mm Mauser in bolt actions with metal buttplates. But dog gonnet, every 30-30 levergun I've fired has hurt like the dickens! I'm just suggesting from experience with other leverguns that a 45/70 should have a decent buttpad. I've found slip-ons to be decent on pump shotguns.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You should try the Remington factory load. Plenty powerful enough for deer and black bear and not too punishing. A good hunting round. It works great up here in New England and should be fine in the State of Misery.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
State of Misery, huh? That's pretty good coming from a Yankee. :) I picked up a box of 300gr. Federal power-shock today that oughta get the job done. According to the ballistic chart, zeroed in a at 100 yards, it'll shoot 0.7" high at 50 yards and drop 11.7" at 200 yards. I can count on one hand how many shots I've taken over 100 yards in 21 years of hunting deer, so it'll do fine.

By the way, do you know where the world record non-typical white tail was taken? Yup, in St. Louis County, Missouri.......hit by a truck in 1981. :jaw:
Us ******** ain't to "suhfistuhmuhkated" down here.

Good luck this season!!! :right:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts