Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about got myself convinced on buying a new marlin 1895G - not that it takes a great deal of convincing to buy a new rifle - I think it would be a great little vehicle/scrub rifle.

While i was at the shop yesterday they just happened to have a new 1895M on the wall, which got me thinking would there be any advantage to a .450 Marlin over the .45-70?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Short answer is - no - you can get hot factory ammo that pretty much equals the .450 Marlin. But, you can't get factory .450 marlin that equals light loaded 45-70. Besides the 45-70 is a piece of living history. Stick with the 45-70.

Make sure you can get the hot ammo (Corbon, Buffalo Bore, Grizzly, etc.) down in Australia. If not, then the .450 may become more attractive.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
One way to look at the .450

The history of firearms is paved with good cartridges that
just did not make it in the marketplace. The .450 is a
relatively new offering falling into this catagory. In a
few years it may or may not appear in the Marlin catalog.
Remington, Marlin's owner, may decide the sales figures
are just not telling them to keep it in production. I'm not
saying this will happen but you must understand it is a
possibility that would leave you with a good cartridge
coming at a high price.

The .45-70 has lasted from long before our birth and will
last on after our death. It has a large consumer
following.

I would stick with the .45-70 as I am very conservative
when it comes to newer cartridges.

However, this is a forum and I feel you will get other input.
Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Hard to give advice not knowing what ammo you have available there. If you can get the hot loads for the 45-70 it will do about anything the .450 will do and have the advantage of many less powerful loads that can do a great job for you also.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The 45-70 has been around since 1873 and is still going strong. You can't say that about the .450 Marlin. I think it is a great cartridge but it doesn't do anything the 45-70 can't do.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Get the 1895g for the reasons above.

But, I'm biased. I just ordered a 1895GS yesterday. :cool2:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to give advice not knowing what ammo you have available there. If you can get the hot loads for the 45-70 it will do about anything the .450 will do and have the advantage of many less powerful loads that can do a great job for you also.
I will be reloading for whichever one i get so availability of factory ammo is not a big concern.

But from all the homework i have done recently and the input from you fellas, i think i will probably stick with my origional plan and get the .45-70, either way tax time is not until June/July over here so i have a few months to make my mind up.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,636 Posts
I've a 450 marlin and really like it.......

But the .45-70 is a more versitile cartridge in general, and lotsa different loadouts.

I've not had any problem getting ammo, but it all is relatively hot unless you handload.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts