Marlin 1895XLR 45-70

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by CroMagnum, Apr 29, 2008.

1. CroMagnum

CroMagnum Guest

Got one for my birthday and had a few things done to it. Wild West Guns Ghostring/Williams Firesight, Bearproof ejector, trigger adjust to just under 3 lbs, bead blast and custom leather cheek pad and sling. I plan on getting to within 50 yards of a good sized brown bear and putting a 420 gr Garrett Hammerhead through both shoulders. What say you Marlin afficiando's, would you try this if you had the chance?

2. Hotled

Hotled Guest

1 word "YUP":bigeyes:

Get a pic of that rifle up, I'm interested in the ghost ring and how it looks on the xlr series.
    At 50 yards I would put my 45/70 up against anything for a good clean kill and I hope your wish comes true and is as exhilarating as it sounds!

3. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Would I try it? absolutely! those big ole hammerheads will go all the way through darned near anything you shoot them at.

4. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Nope, I don't hunt bear. I do hunt in bear country and like to watch them, preferably from a distance. In heavy brush I have had some around 50 yds. away but they moved on off. Given a choice I won't shoot one.

5. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Sounds like a nice set up ! I would feel confident with that for big bear medicine no problem. Please put a pic up if don't mind, I would love to see it and I hope to have one myself some day.

6. Juhosaphat

Juhosaphat Guest

With the stock open sights I can blow up 2 liters at about 150 yards no problem. I wouldn't let a bear get within 50 yards of me lol But the rifle sounds awesome. Some pictures would definitely be nice :)