Marlin 22 Mag Bolt Action

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by tjhale, Nov 25, 2008.

1. tjhale

tjhale G&G Newbie

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and looking forward to talking with you about guns and shooting. I'm a bonafide "Gun Nut" as they say and I just recently purchased a new Marlin 925M Bolt Action 22 Mag. I've always been impressed with the quality of Marlin guns and this gun appears to be no exception to the rule. I took the gun to the range today to shoot it for the first time. I checked the barrel and all the usual safety precautions and fired the gun. To my surprise the gun would not eject the case. After inspection and trying a few different things I discovered that when the bolt was closed on a new round the round would stick in the chamber/breech so tightly that the extractor could not pull out the fired case. It was stuck so hard that when you opened the bolt to eject the spent case the extractor would let go and the case would stay in the chamber. This is a brand new gun. I was wondering if any of you had ever run across this problem. I had to run a cleaning rod into the muzzle of the gun and push the spent case out of the chamber. Thanks in advance for your information.

T.J.

2. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Addict

TJ,You might want to try different brands of ammo,and see if something different works better. I haven't ever had any problems like that with my Savage 22 magnum,but I have had some like that with different 22lr over the years. Chambers just too tight for some ammo. THB

3. tjhale

tjhale G&G Newbie

Thanks for your information THB. I'll try some different ammo. I had two different types on hand and both seem to do the same thing but I'll pick up another type and try it.

I thought maybe some cosmoline or something was built up on the bolt face but when I checked it , it was clean and everything was in working order.

Thanks again for your time, I'll give it a shot.

T.J.

4. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Sounds like the very common malady of a dinged chamber mouth - this happens if people 'dry fire' a rimfire rifle. My NEW Marlin M25MN did the same thing. I polished the chamber face with ultra-fine emory paper on a short rod section chucked into a low-speed drill, and just slightly into the chamber - NOT far! Just take the ding out, and now it feeds and extracts perfectly.

And do not dry fire from then on! This is especially seen if the rifle is a rack gun. Not often seen if it is from the box in the backroom.

5. tjhale

tjhale G&G Newbie

Big Dog,

I really appreciate the info. I tried different type of ammo with no luck. The only question I have about the ding on the chamber face is, an unfired 22 mag round will go nearly all the way in the chamber before it starts to get tight. It's almost like it hits a tight spot at the front of the round instead of the back of the chamber. I can push a round into the chamber nearly all the way up and then it's the last 1/16th of an inch before it starts to tighten up. You can push the round in, and as long as you don't bottom it out, it will pull out freely and easy. If you push it all the way up to battery and press it up pretty tight, it's stuck. I'm not sure but maybe a 22 mag round is a fraction larger at the base (not counting the rim) than it is near the bullet. If this is the case then it sure sounds like your right, there's probably a ding in the chamber causing it to tighten up. Thanks again for your time. I'll try a slight fine emery run and see what happens. I sure like the rifle and I hope I can straighten it out.
    T.J.

6. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Be sparing on the oil as well. ESPECIALLY in the chamber & barrel. I usually run two-three dry patches thru after I oil everything just to take out the excess.

If nothing we've said helps, call Marlin's helpline/email and ask them what to do next. They probably know something we don't :)

7. unclejer

unclejer G&G Newbie

I have a 25mn and haven't had this problem but my brother did and he polished the chamber there was a ding just as discussed and this solved the problem. Good rifles mine loves winchester and cci rounds didn't shoot all that accurate until after about 200 rounds now dead on. As with any rimfire let it carbon up clean it and your good.

8. tjhale

tjhale G&G Newbie

Appreciate Help with 22 Mag.

Thanks to all for your time. I did try polishing the chamber. I admit I was a little worried about not taking too much metal away. I went pretty slow with it. I used some very fine metal sand paper, about the equal of fine emery cloth. I used a slow speed drill. It seems to be quite a bit better than it was but the shells still stick in the chamber. I guess I just need to work on it a little more. The rounds go into the chamber more smoothly but just as your about to bottom them out against the chamber face, they stick. They still stick enough that the extractor can't hold strong enough to pull them out. The extractor just slips off. Your have to either push a cleaning rod from the muzzle end to push the round out or pry the round out of the chamber. I just think I need to do some more polishing. I was probably just a little too nervious about taking too much off. Thanks to all again for your time.
    T.J.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted