Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Down here the last several yesrs, ANY good twentytwo rifle goes for $150 to $200, in pawnshops. The days of the fifty dollar twentytwo rifle are long over.

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Down here the last several yesrs, ANY good twentytwo rifle goes for $150 to $200, in pawnshops. The days of the fifty dollar twentytwo rifle are long over.
As long as there are still Yard Sales, the beat goes on ;)

· Premium Member
11,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Stopped by the lgs that's selling the 25N yesterday. It's still there. Been there for a couple years now.

A new guy behind the counter said he's seen many guys pick it up, kick the tires and put it back. Gotta think there's something not right about the rifle if it's been there that long with so much interest.

Might have avoided a problem by passing on that particular rifle.

· Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,465 Posts
Probably just the fact the 25N is "plain potatoes", no fancy styling or bells&whistles. Were I there, I'd likely buy it. I don't have that platform, and it would fill a hole in my Marlin collection.
Being a pawnshop, you could likely talk him down a bit.

· Premium Member
10,580 Posts
The newer 22 rifles are not made as well as the older ones is my thoughts. They are so mass produced and plastic. I am from the old school and like the wood stocks and heavy steel barrels. That is why the older rifles sell for high at gunshows and pawn shops. I find the older ones better made, accurate and more reliable then most of this new crap. I collect older 22 rifles in many makes and models.

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Stopped by the lgs that's selling the 25N yesterday. It's still there. Been there for a couple years now.

A new guy behind the counter said he's seen many guys pick it up, kick the tires and put it back. Gotta think there's something not right about the rifle if it's been there that long with so much interest.

Might have avoided a problem by passing on that particular rifle.
PRICE. If they put $125 on it, it'd be gone with the wind.
You can buy a brand new Marlin XT22 for less than $150.

It ain't making any money just sitting, offer 'em $100.
Settle at $130 or less ;)

· Registered
10,887 Posts
Where do you go to get the trigger group?
Straight from Marlin.
I called in and said my rifle got run over by my 6yr old on an ATV,
and it jacked it, can I buy a new trigger assembly? :)

Occasionally Numrich/others will have one in stock...

Lotta folks like the Riflebasix trigger as well :)
Whichever floats your boat!

Reactions: neophyte

· Registered
1 Posts
My dad bought me a 25n about 1980. Still have it, still shoot it and it’s probably the most accurate 22 that I have. I wish I could find a magazine that held more than 7, but I’ve put everything from 22 short ultra quiet to chi stingers and everything in between including what I consider some crap ammo and it always seem to shoot better than I can.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Was offered a used Marlin 25 at a lgs today. Decent shape, no rust, smooth action. Comes with an inexpensive .22 cal. scope for $175.00.

I'm looking for a bolt action tack driver such as a CZ 455 or a used Anschutz.

The reviews seem positive and the price seems good, but I'm not quite convinced.

Anyone have experience with this model or its twin, the Glenfield 25? If it's as accurate as a CZ, it might be a good deal.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Mine is nothing to brag about in the accuracy department.

For something in that price range I'd look at a Savage. My Savage IS a tack driver.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
Back in the 80's I bought one for 50 bucks used. I cut the barrel down to 17" and refinished the stock. Put my 2.5 power weaver scope on it from my pre 64 Win mod 70. We ( the boys and I) used it for a picket pin and prairie dog Ranch gun. Driving around ranches in my old Blazer and killing all we could. Most of the time, one old rancher would buy us a brick or two of .22's. Great little shooter and the boy's learned well how to shoot. Then came the 10/22's and the gun was given to a relative who promptly sold it. Miss that gun but not the ex son in law who sold it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.