Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about purchasing a nice used 30/30 lever action rifle. The question is, Marlin or Winchester?? Could someone please give me some advice and please tell me what a good used on would cost, an average.
Thanks alot!
-Mike:spam:

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
I've got a Winchester and love it. But I know folks who swear by their Marlin to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks alot guys! i knew they were both close but i just wanted some oppinions, and thx for the scope information!
-Mike

·
Registered
992 Posts
Marlin! But not just because of mounting a scope. With Marlin you can remove one screw and the lever comes out and the bolt slides out, allowing the bore to be cleaned from the breach. Try the action on both and you'll see why people who own Marlins swear by them.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
My two cents...I bought a Model 94 Winchester 30/30 last year mfd in 1967.

Love it for it's light weight and beauty. But...as the guys above wrote, it's a problem now if I should ever want to mount a scope. Otherwise, it's a piece of classic gun history and I'm proud to have one in my gun cabinet.

Fact is, due to it's light weight I decided to use it last deer season instead of lugging around one of my other 30-06 rifles which are 1 1/2 lbs or more heavier.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oxford said:
My two cents...I bought a Model 94 Winchester 30/30 last year mfd in 1967.
Love it for it's light weight and beauty. But...as the guys above wrote, it's a problem now if I should ever want to mount a scope. Otherwise, it's a piece of classic gun history and I'm proud to have one in my gun cabinet.
Fact is, due to it's light weight I decided to use it last deer season instead of lugging around one of my other 30-06 rifles which are 1 1/2 lbs or more heavier.

But the question is... Did you get anything? 0.o

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
On one of my Winchesters I mounted a Beemans 3X on the bolt. Works great as I don't work the lever with the stock mounted to my shoulder.

DANA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well this is freakish. I was about to post a new thread when I found this one.
The text of my message was to be as follows:

I picked up about 200 once fired .30-30 cases at the range the other day. This seems to me (although the wife has a different opinion) a perfect excuse to buy a .30-30 for which to handload. (Good logic I reckon).

So, Winchester or Marlin ?

Anyone have experience with or advice regarding this cartridge and firearms chambered for it ?

I fired a Marlin at the range the other day (accounting for some of those empties) but have never used (or even seen) an 1894 Winchester.

The scope thing is interesting. The side ejection whilst perhaps not 'classic' 1894 style is certainly a great feature allowing the mounting of a scope. The kicker for me, however, is the ease of cleaning for the Marlin models. I HATE cleaning firearms from the muzzle, the possibility of damaging the crown makes me nervous. :eek:

So it looks like the Marlin is the go.

What model is the Marlin ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
In 30-30 it will be a model 336

In calibers such as 32-20, 32 H&R Mag, .38/.357, .44Mag/.44 Spcl, .45 Colt, and .45/70 its the Model 1894

In .444, 45/70 and .450 its the Model 1895

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why the difference. WHen was the /30-30 cartridge introduced ?

Were all the other cartirdges available in the respective years 1894 / 95 ?

Is /30-30 an acceptable calibre for Western action shooting ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can't use the 30-30 for CAS. You have to have a rifle chambered for a pistol cartridge (.45 Colt, .357 Mag, 44mag, etc)
I've owned both the Marlin 336 and Winchester 94 in 30-30 and I'd say get the Marlin, for the above mentioned reasons and that it's usually slightly more accurate. Although with iron sights the Win 94 handles a little faster.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts