Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new elk gun guys, the new .204 wont cut it unless i do head shots haha. Anyway, i like lever guns and the 308 Marlin XLR looks to be a good gun. Does anybody have any reviews, opinions good or bad on this rifle? It will probably stay open sited but a 3-9 might possibly find its way onto it. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
The .308 Marlin looks to be a good round, pretty much identical to the .308 Winchester. As far as the gun goes, Marlin makes fine lever guns. Only thing I would be concerned about is exsistance of the .308 marlin, I don't know how easy it will be to get ammo for down the road.

Have you looked at a BLR? they come clip fed, so you can get them in modern calibers, such as the .308 winchester, and others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Ive looked at the BLR but honestly I wasnt that impressed. The one i saw looked ok but my experiences with brownings havnt been as good as with other rifles, but maybe i just had lemons. Any other opinions on the XLR?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
I don't know about the round but you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Marlin lever-action. This is just about the most bullet-proof design to ever come down the pike. The only differences between the XLR and the older guns has to do with accuracy. The old guns weren't designed for match accuracy given the range of the, then current, chamberings. The new Hornady LeverRevolution cartridges extended the range so Marlin realized that , now, the gun has to meet the accuracy requirements of the cartridge. The XLR's have several accuracy improvements over the older 336's\ 30's \etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts