Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a Marlin lever action .357 Mag compare to the 30-30,and a .44 cal lever action in terms of range knock down power? are they good rifles? there is one in the paper here for 450.00

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Well,

Marlin is a high quality firearm so no concerns on that issue.
The .357 mag is a handgun round as is the .44 mag. You have a less powerful round in the .357 mag when compared to the .44 mag.
The .30-30 is a rifle round and will, in my opiniion, outperform either of the handgun rounds in a rifle.

A little time spent checking out the ballistics of each round will give you a more detailed basis for comparison.

The value of this rifle has a lot to do with where you live. I live in the Texas Panhandle where distance rules so a handgun round in a rifle is not really such an asset. I rather doubt you could find a buyer for this rifle at that price in my area.

However, this is a forum so I expect other views.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Well, you should research the calibers, but Marlin makes a good gun. I'm a big fan of the pistol caliber lever actions.

Off the top of my head, the .357 can achieve just under 900lbs of energy, and the 30-30 is usually around 1,200 lbs.

That said, the .357 is much faster and therefore shoots flatter, making it good for hunting. The .357 from a 6" barrel can put a 200lb human being down 10 out of 10 times, at point blank range, so it's reasonable to assume that out of the 16" barrel of those marlin rifles, and slower burning powders, you can easily put down a 150-180lb deer out to 100 yards or so, much like a 30-30.

The 30-30, being heavier will resist deflection from brush and such much better.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
Marlin is a high quality firearm so no concerns on that issue.
The .357 mag is a handgun round as is the .44 mag. You have a less powerful round in the .357 mag when compared to the .44 mag.
The .30-30 is a rifle round and will, in my opiniion, outperform either of the handgun rounds in a rifle.

A little time spent checking out the ballistics of each round will give you a more detailed basis for comparison.

The value of this rifle has a lot to do with where you live. I live in the Texas Panhandle where distance rules so a handgun round in a rifle is not really such an asset. I rather doubt you could find a buyer for this rifle at that price in my area.

However, this is a forum so I expect other views.
I looked up these rifles a while back. My focus was on the .44 mag. I found that .44 mag practically matches the energy and accuracy of the 30-30 in a shorter cartridge, so more rounds in the tube, and a wider projectile, so more energy deposit.

I decided that I would much prefer the .44mag lever action to a 30-30, but this is partially because I already have an AK, which fires the 7.62x39, which is almost identical to the 30-30, except that the 7.62x39 is much more aerodynamic, and therefore maintains accuracy and speed much, much farther.

I know a few people that deer hunt with .45s and 9mms and such, great hollow points, up close, well placed shots.

SO, a .357 has plenty of punch to do the job.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a marlin .357 lever action. Great gun! I posted a picture of it in the marlin forum a while back. I have to say tho, if I was looking for an all around gun and my choices were lever actions in .357,.44 mag and .30-30, I would choose .30-30. It can do everything the others can do, and has a bit more range.

IMO, the primary advantage of lever action .44 and .357 is they use the same ammo as your pistol so you can carry two guns and one box of ammo....which is pretty handy if you are going on a long hunting trip or other type situation.

·
God, Guns, Glory
33,909 Posts
As many here already know.
I am a lover of Marlin & Winchester lever actions.

Depending what your gonna use it for.
They are superb rifles.
I have taken deer with this cal.
As others have already said.
The .44 & 30-30, will give better range, power.

With that said.
They are quick shooters, can be easily shot single handed.
And make great camp rifles.
It is a rifle that ANYONE can shoot.

Depending on what model, barrel length.
You have 8-9 .357 rounds OR .38 rounds.

Is this the 1894C versions.
Or the 1894 Cowboy with octagon barrel?

·
Handgunner
9,146 Posts
The .357 Magnum, although close using Buffalo Bore ammo, cannot match the .30-30 in terms of energy, velocity or trajectory. The .44 Magnum is a different story, but it still has a shorter range than the .30-30. The 7.62x39mm mentioned is closer to the .30 Herrett, (almost identical case capacity in fact), than the .30-30 and falls short with bullets of 150gr and up.
The Marlin is an excellent lever-action but both the .357 and .44 should be limited to 100 yards or the shooters's ability; whichever is closer. With most loads, the .30-30 can reach out to 150 yards with no problems; some can go farther and be effective.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The .357 Magnum, although close using Buffalo Bore ammo, cannot match the .30-30 in terms of energy, velocity or trajectory. The .44 Magnum is a different story, but it still has a shorter range than the .30-30. The 7.62x39mm mentioned is closer to the .30 Herrett, (almost identical case capacity in fact), than the .30-30 and falls short with bullets of 150gr and up.
The Marlin is an excellent lever-action but both the .357 and .44 should be limited to 100 yards or the shooters's ability; whichever is closer. With most loads, the .30-30 can reach out to 150 yards with no problems; some can go farther and be effective.
YEA! That's what I was trying to say.

·
Handgunner
9,146 Posts
I understand that some longer-nosed bullets and SWC profiles will not reliably feed thru the Marlin action.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Neat!

I find that full magnum loads in the pistol caliber lever actions are not as comfortable to shoot as they are through a revolver. I tend to load sub-magnum rounds for the rifle. Full loads are not shoulder breakers, but I find they sting a bit.

If you have the interest in lever actions, I doubt you will be disappointed with a Marlin .357. I do not have a blue book in front of me, but I will go with Barry and say that a price tag of $450 wouldn't put me off.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The .30-30 starts out more potent by far and being better bc stays that way.The .44mag does ok to 100yds but drops off fast.The .357 is acceptable to 100yds but not much from there on out.Considerably less than the .44mag at 100yds.Probably both pistol cartridges would be ok to 100yds with the .44mag best and the .30-30 to 200yds.My analysis. ,,,sam.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've killed deer with the .357 mag, .44 mag, and the .30-30 Win. No complaints here.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Sorry but the .357/.44 don"t do the distance like a 30-30 that being said 'within 100 yrds both the .357 and .44 will flat iron deer out and depending where you live and hunt (ie ranges, and ever important shot placement , bullet selection ) will do their jobs if you do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy one and if it doesn't live up to your expectations you can always sell it. I have Marlin lever action rifles in .30-30 and .45-70. I love them all. Since I also have both .357 mag. and .44 mag. revovlers I have considered buying one for each caliber. These lever actions are just cool.

·
Registered
609 Posts
One gun that had a run of popularity up here in Wisconsin was the little Ruger semi-auto carbine in .44 Magnum for deer.

It makes a nice, close range brush gun. Most of our hardwood forests up here are so overgrown you may not see a deer much beyond 50 yds, even from a tree stand.

So close-range knock-down power is what that little carbine delivers. Shotgun slugs are popular for the same reason. I imagine it would be the same with the gun you are describing in either the 357 or the 44 Magnum.

The 30 30 is probably the best bet. The 357 would be a fun gun for shooting tin cans off of fence posts and the like. I am not sure it would be much of a deer rifle.

·
Registered
653 Posts
In the three states I have lived in ( CA, TX, WA) I have always had an eye out for a .357 Marlin in the used gun racks and never seem to run across one. Every dealer has a used 30-30 on the shelf, and the 44 mags every now and then, but the folks who have the .357 Marlins seem to not want to part with them. I think that may be a pretty good endorsment for how much fun/usefull they can be. Not an Ideal deer rifle but one heck of a camp gun or " Brooklyn Assault rifle" as Col. Cooper used to say.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i have a question that may seem a little off topic.

can these little .357 mag lever guns shoot .38 special rounds too?

i know they are the same diameter cases so that's why you can do both in a revolver. i was just wondering if the shorter rounds would feed through the lever gun.

also, for the OP, 450 sounds like a decent price for a .357 mag lever gun if its in good shape. i have been muling over maybe getting one for a while but the price seems prohibitive. (600 to 900 for the ones i'm seeing) especially for a gun that would barely be enough for deer.

but if it could do the 38 special rounds too and i could get a decent one for under 500 i would jump on it. it would make a fun little target/varmint/camp gun.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
i have a browning 92 in 357 and it will feed and shoot 38 specials just fine.... i would not try wadcutters, though.... they will not feed properly.... semi wadcutters are ok though.... also if you reload, you can load to higher pressures in a rifle as compared to a handgun. be sure you keep your rifle loads and handgun loads well seperated, as the rifle loads are unsafe in all handguns....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts