Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a new lever action rifle for hunting deer here in the East. Most shots are 100 yards or less and I usually use a 30-30 Winchester. First let me say that I don't really NEED a new rifle, I just want one. My question is is the 45-70 round overkill at this range? I've heard people talk about the round primarily for big game at 50 to 150 yards. My next question is is anyone familiar with the Marlin Guide guns they have an 18 1/2 inch barrel model and a 22 inch barrel model? What is the average effective range for these models? Yes I know it depends on type of round,weather etc, I'm talking a general average accuracy 150 yards, 200 yards, 250 yards? Any ideas?

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Everything that I've heard indicates that it would be a good deer gun out to 150-200 yds or so. Out of that short barrel, it probably wouldn't be a lot of fun to shoot, even with the pad and ported barrel but I've never actually shot one. I like the gun though and have thought about getting one myself. I know of several guys around here that hunt deer with 45-70's that swear by them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've fired the 22 inch barrel version, and while my friend who is 5'6" thought the recoil was punishing, I (6'1", 180 lbs) didn't think it was bad at all. One of my hunting buddies, who is about as prolific a hunter as I've ever met, carries one of these on every hunt and I have to say it looks like the perfect gun for my area. I don't think you would want to use it past 150 yards due to some pretty extreme bullet drop and velocity loss, but inside that range I'd be hard pressed to pick a better deer rifle.

-Bert

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I have a guidegun and I love it. Short, light and handy in the woods. Factory loads are adequate for deer hunting if you don't handload, if you do you can really upgrade the performance of the 45-70 with them. Oh yeah, anything you shoot with it will go down hard and with very little meat damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts