Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a lever action gun and have been looking at the marlins in 45/70 caliber. Ive been looking at the model 1895 and am debating over the 1895 g version ( which looks to be shorter as well as the stock is straight back) and the 1895 in walnut which is 3 1/2 inches longer with a semi pistol grip stock ( i think thats what its called) Is there much difference between these guns or is the guide version just a shortened more compact version. The price seems about the same and im leaning towards getting the non guide version. thanks

·
Banned
623 Posts
The two models are pretty much identical, except for barrel and stock variations. I've handled both and the guide gun almost seems a tad too short to me. I own a Marlin 444S and it's pretty much a clone of the 45/70 with the 22" barrel and it feels real good in hand. I personally prefer the pistol grip model. I've not shot the guide version, but I would suppose it will have increased muzzle blast too, especially if you ever used some of the +P loadings available. If you like the idea of a big bore lever, the .444 Marlin has some good points on it's side too. A bit better trajectory, even tho both are not long range numbers. The new LE ammo has helped in this respect. I also own another alternative, a Browning BLR in .450 Marlin. Ammo is about the same price as the .444 and 45/70 in the LE stuff. It's pretty much simply a souped up 45/70. The BLR comes in a 20" version, but the overall length is within 1/2" of the 22" 45/70.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The guide gun comes in an 18 and a 22 in. bbl. The 1895 with the pistol grip stock has a 24 in.bbl. All of these have a 4+1 tubular mag. Then there is the 1895 CB (Cowboy) which has a 26 in. bbl. and a 9+1 tubular mag. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just ordered the standard 22in barrel walnut stock from buds gunshop for 510 dollars and cant wait to get it. Thanks for the info

·
Banned
623 Posts
Congrats, And that seems like a very good price on it too! If you don't mind my asking.... will you scope it too, or simply use the irons? My .444s has a peep sight and my .450 BLR has a red dot, and I'm simply curious as to what you are thinking of doing. Good Luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to stick with the irons for now. I can hardly afford ammo after that purchase.
I like the idea of a peep sight tho, If you have a picture handy, would u mind posting? I'd like to see your set up and get some ideas

·
Banned
623 Posts
Not sure I can post one here, but if you want to private message me and supply an email I'll take a few and send them to you. Most places I've seen ammo, have the LE ammo for about the same price. I use it in my .444

·
Registered
741 Posts
The longer barrel will exhibit less muzzle blast and perceived recoil than the shorter barrel, and will be more comfortable to shoot. I have a 70s production 1895, and it is certainly more pleasant to shoot than my friend's guide gun. I consider the .45-70 to be a handloading proposition since most of the factory ammunition is anemic. Some of the newer loads may be better, but i have not tried any.

·
Banned
623 Posts
rfc357 is absolutly right. But some of the new ammo is more potent.... the LE ammo is quite a bit more powerful that the typical "big 3" loadings and should work fine for most hunting. There are some awesome loads though, with Corbon, Grizzley, and Buffalo Bore if you want to tangle with something with lots of big teeth. Enjoy that big bore lever...I love mine.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Advice from someone observing

From what I have observed at a shooting range I would really take the time to fire the models you have under consideration. Although these guns certainly have their admirers and supporters it is still strong recoil and a great muzzle blast each time you pull the trigger.

So, get some hands on firing experience if possible before making a purchase. This may or may not be the caliber/gun for you.

Good luck and good shooting.

·
Banned
623 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Mitch Congrats with your new Marlin. Do you have an FFL to where you can order gun's yourself ?
You mentioned Bud's so I take it you ordered it from Bud's Gun Shop if thats the site I go there aleast every other day to see what guns cost.
Seems like an excellent outfit to buy from and there prices include shipping.
Hope you enjoy yout new toy...A.H

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mitch Congrats with your new Marlin. Do you have an FFL to where you can order gun's yourself ?
You mentioned Bud's so I take it you ordered it from Bud's Gun Shop if thats the site I go there aleast every other day to see what guns cost.
Seems like an excellent outfit to buy from and there prices include shipping.
Hope you enjoy yout new toy...A.H
AH - I do not have a FFL (and thats probably a good thing because I wouldn't have any money) I just pay the 35 dollar transfer fee at a local gunshop, which is actually in the lower end with some being as high as 50 per online transfer. Yes I did order from budsgunshop and this is my second order from them and I agree that they are an excellent outfit to buy from and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thoughts on 444, 450 45/70 Marlin Which is better

Hi, I am lookign at buying a new gun which will be either a 444, 450 or a 45-70. I will be hunting big game for the most part, moose and elk in thick forest with little open country. I think my lonmgest shot would be around 100 yards. I would also like to take down deer if I see one in the area. It seems that people own the 4570 love it and those that don't own don't like it especially for deer. You input would be appreciated.

:feedback:

·
Registered
25 Posts
GOOD GUNS ARE HARD TO BEAT

Go with the 45-70 and shoot a piece of history. I love mine and kick myself for not moving up to the BIG BORE sooner.

There is nothing in North America which can take a hit from a 45-70 and keep going. White tale deer fall where they are shot.

Elk and, I understand, Bison do the same.

The 45-70 is pleasant to shoot. Recoil is about like a 20 ga. shotgun. I shoot some hot stuff in mine and the new Hornady loads are great.

Cabelas has some lead loads which are fairly cheap and good ammo.

Enjoy the toy. Life is short.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Tang aperture sight looks mighty nice on Lever-actions :D

+1 Dumpling :D

Most of the folks fussing about not liking 45-70 for deer are usually the ones who have to make 300-400 yd shots because they can't sneak up on them well enough to get within 100-150 :scool: Perhaps if they read the Boy Scout manual a few times...:D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I took my buck this past season while he was trotting across a field at 220 yards with a Handi .45-70 and a Hornady 325 gr. LE. Bang Flop. I target shoot that load at 300 yards and will work at moving it out to 500 as soon as the snow is gone. Anyone who believes the .45-70 is a short range gun needs to read "Forty Years with the .45-70" by Paul A. Matthews, ISBN: 0-935632-84-0 Nine out of ten shots in a 5.25 inch circle at 500 yards, iron sights and black powder trapdoor loads.

Pete

1 - 20 of 26 Posts