• Ruger 10/22

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Marlin 60

Votes: 22 36.7%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
Based on Big Dog's advice on the 10/22 rifle or carbine thread looks like I'm going with the model 60 unless someone else can talk me out of it.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
while the topic is on .22 lr, i have heard of the super colibri are they any good? it says that only to use them in pistols, is that true? what kind of luck have you guys had with them and what have you used the colibri's in? are there any other "silent" .22 shells out there that you reccomend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aguila .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gunpowder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps (11 foot-pounds) at the muzzle and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only. There are 50 rounds per box, 10 boxes per 500-round brick. We sell this by the 500-round brick. A full case would be 10 bricks or 5,000 rounds. Non-returnable item; we will not accept any returns on this. Do not use in long-barreled guns, as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up. Will not work the slide in semi-auto handguns. Non-returnable item; we will not accept any returns on this. You will be charged an additional $3.00 total handling fee on all orders for ammunition. Ammo restrictions: We do not sell ammunition to Massachusetts; New York City; Washington, DC; or Cook County, Illinois. Please check your state and local laws before ordering ammunition. Ammo Price Is Per Box Ammo Cannot Ship by Air!

from http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept_id=203014&sku=AMM-066

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,500 Posts
Colibri and Super Colibri are fine in most .22 rifles. The warning on the box is Legalese in case a bullet does stick in the bore and you damage your rifle. Just always make sure it exited - usually not a problem, as you'll see and hear it hit the target. Used in a handgun, these loads lose their reason for existence - they are no longer quiet! In a revolver, you get the gas escaping the cylinder gap. In a Semi-auto, it escapes when the slide recoils (a small amount - it won't cycle properly). Also, the short barrel isn't conducive to quietness. While not as loud as a normal .22LR, it will still rouse the neighbors.
I've shot the loads out of several rifles, and the Winchester 75T target rifle is the only one they stuck in. It has a very tight bore.
My Henry loves them - they cycle fine in a lever-action. Sounds like a low-powered pellet rifle. In a long-barreled bolt-action, you'll hear just the "tink" of the firingpin. Great for those pesky "yard varmints", though not quite powerfiul enough for a quick kill on a tough possum. I know. :rolleyes:
Accuracy is okay inside 25 yards, but falls off quickly after that.
A good barrel-cocking pellet rifle is more powerful and accurate, and longer ranged - but also much louder!
The Colibri is a good tool for specific purposes - just don't expect them to perform like a normal .22LR.

·
Registered
767 Posts
why?

10/22 why? much easier to modify, and a ton of parts available!

Though I do prefer the 10/22Magnum over the LR. I shoot a LOT at 100+ yards, so the magnum is the choice there.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've shot the Colibri with the CZ Ultra Lux. I think the "Ultra" part is the ridiculously long barrel. I shot it in the house at phone books and it wasnt all that quiet! I have the super Colibris. One round did stick the bullet in the barrel and I took another shot not knowing it was in there. No damage done but I did expect it to be much quieter with the super long barrel. It was still a pretty loud pop.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,500 Posts
I've shot them quite a bit in the house (being single, I can get away with it . . . :cool: ), and they are quiet enough that the neighbors hear nothing.
Great way to "ballpark" a new scope or sights. I can get a max distance of about 25 feet - thru the livingroom, over the easychair, into the master bedroom, into the rag-filled box - nuttin' but paper! :)
Only got one hole in the bedroom wall . . . :rolleyes:
Works great during those frigid days when it's too cold for the range, too!

What's fun is shooting them from my BSA Martini. Other shooters see me loading and then jacking the lever, then loading again. They don't hear anything with their "ears" on. Hehehe.
A 14 pound hulking monster target rifle shooting the wee Colibris! I like the irony in that. :p

I sometimes shoot them in my little Tanfoglio/Excam western-style revolver. They think I'm shooting a pellet gun. About the time they are about to ask me what kind of "pellet pistol" I have - I load it with the .22WMR's and blast away. "Bwahahaha"!
Yeah, I know - shouldn't shoot .22LR in a WMR - but these little Colibris are so under-powered there's no real danger. I don't do it with regular LR's. :cool:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Big Dog, 25 feet is about the max distance in my house but I use the coffee table as a bench rest and fire into the bedroom. My only obstruction is the pile of dirty laundry :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had a Marlin 60 for about 15 years now.
I wouldn't even touch a 10/22!!!
The old Marlin 60 was the gun that I learned to shoot on as a kid!!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Well I like the 10-22 better than the marlin
the 10-22 is set up more like a regular rifle than the marlin
the reloading is the thing for me
haveing to feed each one in to the tube
I like haveing detatchable magazines for quick reloads
and there are more acessories for the 10-22 also.
the marlins are, IMHO not as well built as the rugers
they jamm easier and are harder to clear jams than the rugers
there are millions of marlins out there that many many young shooters learned to shoot with.
I think Rugers are better but marlins arent bad
But my .22 rifle is not either one of those.
when I was a small boy spending summers in Evant TEXAS
my cusin had the most coolest rifle
I wanted one so bad i couldnt stand it and after all the carrying on i never got one
then 2 years ago a very dear friend on mine had 2 broken examples of them and gave me one for fixing both.
when you grow up you get to have everything you ever wanted

its been a joy to shoot and a joy to teach others to shoot it is especially good for teaching youngsters to shoot with

It a Remington Nylon 66
this gun was designed by people that had never designed guns before.
it was a product of the "we can do everything better" generation of the sixties.
in some ways they have and in some ways they have not and did not forsee future situations
ya cant use anything stronger than hoppes on it ( I am not willing to try)
the odd spring/sear/disconnector apparatus works well but its just ..........odd
a different way of solving a functionality problem.
the best thing is it is light weight
very light weight
its fairly accurate and reliable its just constructed in an odd way
and did I mention its light weight
:)

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think I've finally decided on Marlin 975 (i dont' like tube-loaders).
My only complaint is that it comes with a nickel plated magazine instead of black
(shiny bad)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you buy a Marlin, you will have a well made dependable, reasonably acurate and reasonably priced small game and plinking rifle. If that is what you wanted to begin with then you will be very pleased and with reasonable care it will last you a lifetime.
If you buy a Ruger, you will have a well made dependable, reasonably acurate and reasonably priced small game and plinking rifle. If that is what you wanted to begin with then you will be very pleased and with reasonable care it will last you a lifetime.
BUT, if you want more, Ruger is the only way to go. You buy a Marlin and you got a Marlin. You buy a Ruger and the sky is the limit. Building an exceptional and one of a kind rifle is a passion of its own. And no Marlin I have ever seen can compete. Not a slam on them, just the limitations of there design. They are great guns, but the design of the Ruger lends itself to modification like no other rifle I have ever seen, and there are more aftermarket parts available for them than any thing else I am aware of. And it really doesnt take a professional to come up with something extraordinary. Any one can build a pretty special rifle at the kitchen table. So buy a Ruger and create something. :)

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,720 Posts
Iv'e layed off this one like a high inside fast ball.

I own a 10/22 and love it. My brother had a Marlin and traded it off for a 10/22. I know the good and bad points of both. I'd add a marlin to the collection if I got a wild hair.

Shaun, as much as I trust your gun savy, may I ask why you chose Marlin?

BTW, The Savage is not a bad looking well built .22 semi-auto. Oh nad the TC, now that's a quality gun!

I like the Ruger rifle configuration a bit better than the carbine, I'd like to shoot one.
Rugers are like Fords to me. I know my way around them and how to care for them and make them work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts