Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening i took the 60 out to a p-dog town and started plinkin. After about 40 or so rounds it wouldn't eject and got to the point where it wouldnt fire. I clean it after every use and shhot remington ammo. What do yall think my problem might be?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't clean mine and it has worked fine for 20 yrs. Maybe that's the problem. I'm just kidding , It sounds like something your gunsmith will have to look into.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
You have a dirty chamber or possibly it has been dryfired and the firing pin has pushed a little metal up.This will hold the casing in so it wont eject and stop it from going all the way in so it will fire.Since you cant get at it very good you need to go to someone that can remove the barrel and clean the burr out.You can do it yourself by driving the pin out,marking the barrel,counting the turns,cleaning,and reinstalling.DO NOT TRY THIS.GO TO A GUNSMITH.I Have seen the crud build up in the slots where the extractors fit on the outside of the barrel.Take a probe and clean that too. sam.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
I would suggest a different type of ammo. Mine doesn't like remington ammo at all. But it shoots CCI mini mags like crazy. My 60 loves them, and squirrels hate them!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you have any idea what this would cost? If i were to take it to a gunsmith to do what was stated above?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
First, define "wouldn't fire".
Does it cock?
Does the hammer fall when trigger pulled?
Does it strike the firing pin?
Does the firng pin make a mark on the casing?
Pulling back the bolt manually, does it extract and eject the shell?

Once we know exactly what it is doing and not doing, we can diagnose the problem. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you manually pull the bolt back it will eject a shell and load one into the chamber. Yes it will leave a mark on the casing and yes it does strick the firing pin. When shooting theres a shell in the chamber, you pull the trigger and it clicks as if if were empty. When it does fire the shell will not eject just stays in the chamber and if it does eject it does so partially. By that i mean the bolt moves back the empty casing comes half way out of the chamber and jams with the new shell being loaded into the chamber. do you get that?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Is this an older rifle, or fairly new?
First thing i'd do is thoroughly clean it, and try another brand of ammo. I find Remington dirty and of poor consistency. A lot of my semiautos don't like it.
If the gun is old, I'd suspect weak springs - especially the hammer spring and magazine spring. Possible worn firing pin too.
Look at the feedblock, where the bullet begins to slide up into the chamber. It should be smooth. The feedblocks do wear out on older Model 60's. Numrich has replacements.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm going to guess and say that it is around 15 years old. I've taken it all apart and cleaned it. Next time i go out im trying a different brand of ammo.

i did a little reasearch and it turns out that it was made back in 84'

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
Try changing the ejector lifter spring. They're cheap, around 3 bucks from Brownells. My buddies M-60 would jam every other round, doing the same things you describe. I bought several new springs, installed one, saved the other for a spare, and now this rifle is a beast. Also forget about the remington .22 ammo. It's junk. Buy some CCI mini mags!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you have a bad lot of ammo. If it will hand eject after firing then it isn't building sufficent pressure to eject. I read this to be bad ammo. Clean the weapon. When you thinks it clean, then clean it again. Cleaning involves more than running a patch down the barrel. When clean try a different brand of ammo or at least a different lot number. The majority of 22's I work on the problems are dirt related.

Swamprat

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would have to agree with the bad/weak ammo theory. I have a Walther P-22, and it does exactly the same thing unless I use high velocity ammo, like Remington Yellow Jackets or CCI mini mags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts