Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im the newest noob here...ive been looking into buying a 22 for some months now, my best buddy just bought a Ruger 10/22 and its cool. Ive been browsing some Marlin Choices because a few appeal to me.

At first i was way looking into buying a Marlin 917VSF With a Fluted Barel and .17 cal and whatnot. Ive exausted all resources and read and talked to people to get their thoughts, i was really set on getting one when i read that the Clip has tendency to malfunction (which i noticed when i had a problem just loading and unloading the clip in the store while handeling it..kinda tricky) and the Bolt action can also cause some problems and you kindof have to baby the Rifle a bit to get it to work functionally. And Well i split my decision from a .17 back to a .22 which brought me to the Marlin 60SS.
I Really love the black/grey laminated body and really am not interested in the traditional colors (Brown/Black).

So this brings me to where i need some help....i have not had a chance to get out and talk to the folks in the stores for specs on the 60SS. Im hoping you all in here might be able to help me out in terms of its Functionality and gereral operating. Does it have any major Malfunctions that make the rifle not worth buying?
I have heard Marlin kindof has a small reputation for having clips and the action malfunctioning on their firearms but thats why im looking for help.
Ive read up online as much as i can to find reviews for the 60SS and havnent found much help except for a few forum hits...and the only really bad thing ive heard about the 60SS is the Trigger is pretty heavy. But thats pretty minor im my mind i can get by something like that.

So basically does anyone have any info for me on the 60SS, Have you shot one? It worked fine, You like it? Do you know anyone that has one, and their thoughts? Anythign would be appreciated!?!?

Im also up for recomendations if anyone else has any outside of Marlin...as i said im really only interested in Black/Grey Laminated wood style like the 60SS or the 917VS...just as long as it doenst have a reputation for malfunctioning.
Sorry for the long post its super early and im tired as poo but please help me out if possible.

Cheers
-Rob

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,353 Posts
I love the Marlins!

Howdy Rob,
I have the similar Marlin Model 60SB - same but with the birch wood stock. The venerable Model 60 has been around a good while. It is an 'economy' level twentytwo rifle, so it does have it's cheap side. But, it's a proven design too. The trigger is a bit heavy and mushy, as are most semi-auto .22 rifle triggers - it's the nature of the beast. These aren't target guns. They are excellent plinkers and small game rifles.
Keep the Marlin clean, and it'll give you good service. Use oil very sparingly, so as to not collect gunk.
While the barrel is 'stainless', it will show stains and minor rust if it's not cleaned every so often.
Mine isn't picky about ammo - it'll feed most anything I give it, though it does shoot more accurately with some types. Just try different ammo brands and types - see what your gun likes.
The Model 60 is typically more accurate than the Ruger 10-22 straight from the box, and there isn't much of an aftermarket for add-ons. This is a gun that you simply keep shooting. No need to 'upgrade'.

I have the early Model 17VS bolt rifle in .17HMR and the similar Model 25MN in .22 Magnum. The 25MN had some extraction issues at first, but a polishing of the chamberface fixed that. I have no magazine issues at all. Both are very tight shooters!

I like Marlin rifles - I'm up to nine of them now. :guitar:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excelent! Thanks Big Dog For the Awesome help!
I want it!! lol

Anyone else got experience with what were talking about?

Big Thanks Again
-Rob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, Yetti, I have a Marlin model 60 with wooden furniture, non-SS (same action though, I think). I've had it for probably 4 years, and shot nearly 1000 rounds through it, and have never ONCE had a single misfeed due to the fault of the gun. (today I had the first misfeed ever in it. I was testing some underpowered subsonic .22 ammo that didn't have enough energy to cycle the bolt, so I expected a "misfeed" if you can call it that) It pretty much has no problem feeding any regular .22LR ammo. I usually choose Federal bulk pack ammo (500 rd boxes), and mine shoots VERY accurately with them. Just today I shot a 1.5-inch-wide-by-3-inch-tall ceramic figurine with it at 75 yards from a sitting position and a 30 dollar Tasco scope also from Walmart. I can generally shoot 1-1.5'' groups at 100 yards with that combination, and Federal bulk pack hollowpoint ammo. I don't LOVE the tubular magazine on the 60, but it's pretty high-capacity (14+1), so it's tolerable. I don't really mind the trigger pull-it's what I expect and I deal with it. *shrugs* Overall, I freakin' love the marlin model 60, and I'll bet it can outshoot any 10/22, straight out-of the-box at least. A very enjoyable product.
JD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats excelent to hear...thanks for the help guys...im gona head out tomorrow to find out whre i can get one in my area. Went today but didnt make it intime before the place closed.

Thanks for the help fellas
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marlin 9 mm

I have a marlin 9mm rifle but the body of wood is damage and I'm looking for a new one .Where I can found it?. thanks.Mascanosa.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
my friend has a semi marlin model 60 and it gives us jamming issues every time at the range. it does need a good cleaning though. for a first gun I think it would be great and you can learn on the cheap .22 bullets. I got a savage model 93R17 in 17hmr and I have never had a problem with the mag or the bolt. I have put about 1000 rounds through it so far and it is extremely accurate. the bullets average .25 cents though and are a bit more pricey than .22 bullets. I got it for shooting out to the 200yd mark and I can hit chicken eggs with it at that range. I like precision and accurate shooting so I chose the 17 over the 22. I had already learned on the 22 for a long time so I just got the 17 instead. either way, I would still like to get a .22 for plinking because they are great fun. Hope this helps, let us know what you decide and post a few pics as well:).

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts