Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A gun shop not too far from my home town has had this little black 81TS tube repeater (still new) gathering dust (literally - I had to wipe the dust off aroung the forend tip) in their rack for over two years. I have always regretted selling a Marlin 783 .22 Magnum tube repeater back in the 90s. But, I have no use for another .22 Magnum (have a 925M and a Ruger Super Single Six). So, I decided to liberate this rascal and put it to work for $170 cash out the door.
Cons:
Accuracy is so-so.
Trigger is heavy (5 lbs 6 ozs)
Pros:
100% reliable (cycled over 200 rounds today of three types)
My old 783 trigger was around 8 or 9 pounds. This one is crisp and shootable.
Found a home for my beloved old steel tube Weaver K-2.5 scope.
The rifle fit me very well for length of pull and comb height (when scoped).
This is a great plinker. I went through a box of American Eagles in no time shooting offhand on the pistol range at shotgun shells, wood fragments, and pieces of broken clay pigeons.
Excuses:
Was shooting this afternoon and unlike this morning, the winds were swirling and gusting.
Maybe the Micro-Groove rifling prefers plated ammo. I had none with me.
I shoot alot of .22 games at the range and the scope powers run from 6 to 16 to 18 to 36. So, the old 2.5 may take some getting used to.
Notes:
The first groups with SK Std Plus (told this is the same as Wolf MT and I believe it after shooting alot of both myself) were horrendous. Maybe it does not like the greasy wax lube.
My Marlin 60 loved the plated 40 gr solid Aguila High Velocity. Maybe I will try that in it this weekend.
Pics:

These are two inch BC flame dots on the left target and three inch on the right target. I needed the big bulls for the low powered scope.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Cool! I'd be willing to bet that when you find what it likes to eat, it'll shoot like a dream, those CCI Blazer groups are already pretty good @ 50. I'm thinking of scoping my 39A in the next day or two and seeing what it'll do when I can see the target!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had a second outing after our BR match on Saturday ...

with the 81TS. I could not round up any Aguila High Velocity (plated). But, I did try some CCI Mini Mags. I also gave the bore a thorough cleaning to give the plated ammo a fresh start.

Unfortunately, it was not much better. The two best 50 yard groups to date have been shot with the CCI Mini Mags (about .80" ctc) and the top right group pictured above fired with American Eagle (about .92" ctc).

Am I spoiled by the little groups from my CZs, Remington 541T, Anschutz 1710, and even $110 Savage Mk II? But, other guys on these forums rave about their tight shooting Marlin .22 LRs. My stainless Marlin Model 60 will outshoot this cool lookin little black bolt gun.

I will keep yall posted on some things I try with this rifle. But, I really did want a simple knock around .22 that didn't have to be babied. So, I am not going to restock it, give it a trigger job, bed it, or any of that stuff. I am not a tinkerer at heart. I like to pretty much shoot em the way the factory turned em out.

Notes:

Maybe I need to put that old Weaver steel tube on a center fire brush gun and retire it from rimfire use. It was touted that the 60s and 70s era low power centerfire scopes were set paralax free at relatively short ranges. But, I did the head movement test while this rifle was solidly in the Caldwell bags on Saturday and that reticle was shifting.

At my next session with it, I am going to bench it at 100 yards. If the groups, are about like the 50 yard groups in size. Then, I will know that paralax is an issue.

If they are are double the size or more of the 50 yard groups. Then I may pull the old glass and do some serious open sight shooting at 50 yards at the big orange bulls from the bench. This would help me confim scope issues.

Trigger: I like a light crisp trigger as much as the next rifleman. But, I have done some fine shooting with bad triggers and don't think this is that big a factor. Look at these groups I shot with the horrendous factory trigger on my CZ 513 Basic.

I even shot a slow fire prone stage score of 100-10X with the 513 once in a local CMP Sporter 3-P Match.

So, I think I can eliminate the heavy trigger as a cause for the big groups.

I like the Marlin 81TS and intend to keep it. It will be fun to experiment with it over the next few weeks. Also, I will be sure and try it with a true rimfire scope or one with an adjustable objective.

Oh, Dan had asked about adjusting this rifles trigger. From reading numerous posts on RFC and from observing the mods made by a shooting buddy on his Marlin 25, it looks like tweaking it is not that difficult (Bic pen spring, shims, etc.). It is a pre 900 series trigger and they seem to be easier to work on than the later.

Wish this old knot head luck with his lemon.

Same to yall in your shooting endeavors.

Danny

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have a Marlin 981T as well, it is an awesome shooting gun and am able to shoot short long or long rifle in it, best priced little 22 bolt on the market i paid 154.00 for mine new

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Just found your posting since you moved it. Marlins seem to have a well-deserved reputation for reliability.

I am intrigued with your Marlin 81TS bolt-action and the raves I hear about the Marlin model 60 semi-auto.

Wonder if anyone has gone through all the fine-tunimg steps like lighter trigger pull and barrel-bedding on one of these Marlins to see how accurate they can get.

One Marlin I've never owned is the lever action .22 but will probably get one sooner or later. Friends assure me they will outlast their owners.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I lost ya Dan.

I have a three day weekend coming up. Plan to shoot the 81TS some more.

Ahhh, the 39. It is a fine rifle. I have a Williams Receiver Sight on mine. But, it is not a half incher either at 50 yards. Just a nice handling classic .22 lever action. Smooth. Fun to shoot. My daughter always calls it when we go shooting together.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it ain't the old scope's fault.

I mounted a modern Weaver 4X rimfire scope on the Marlin 81TS and went to the range. Since plated ammo did not prove to be the answer last time, I took the American Eagle again as a base group, some RWS Subsonic HPs, and a 100 rd plastic box of CCI Std Vel. Here is a sampling of the groups I shot this morning:

The groups with all three ammos were still within the range of the ones fired using the old K 2.5.

Also, the Marlin seems to like the inexpensive American Eagle as much or more so than any of the pricier ammo I have tried.

So, I mounted the K 2.5 back on the Marlin and zeroed it again with the lower left four bull target. Finally, I proceeded to empty a full tube of the Eagle cartridges on a mixture of turkey and pig silos offhand at 50 yards and I only had a couple of misses.

Like my friend, Dwight, said the other day, "Danny, I just think you get spoiled shooting tiny little groups with your Anschutz, CZ 452s, and older Remington and Winchester .22 rifles and your expectations for a modern American entry level .22 are just two high".

My old K 2.5 has a home and if I need a solid little .22 to go knock steel animals or aluminum cans around at the range, then this Marlin will get it done. It would also be a marvelous choice to sight in with the supply of CCI CB Longs that I keep on hand for killing starlings, blackbirds, and and even the occasional squirrel (when they start trying to make a home in my attic) in the back yard. Those ranges are always quite close and it feeds the longs flawlessly.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well, I'd be happy with that new .22, but I have not been corrupted by expensive .22's, and I do not use a scope or shoot from a bench. I have an old Mossberg bolt action that I plink with. Supported against the side of a tree I can hit a small (1 1/2" X 2 1/2") pill bottle at 25, and Coke cans at 50. I hit a 10" hub cap from sitting position with elbows on knees at 100, but I'm gonna try to move that down to a coffee can. Use iron sights on this new gun, plink away, and be happy. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Remington Golden Bullets Bulk Pack

I acquired a few dozen of these from a friend on Saturday and gave them a try in the Marlin 81TS on Sunday.

I will write off that first big group to being my and the rifle's first group of the day. We both seemed to settle in with the Remington ammo after that. I think I found a load that the Marlin likes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marlin Model 81TS

I know this post is 4 years old, but I just bought a Marlin Model 81TS and I'm going to have to say that, although I do not have pictures to prove it, but what reason would I have to lie for. I had this gun fine tuned at fifty yards, with a Simmons 3-9x32 scope, and by the targets you have shown, by the grouping your rifle is getting, it is not the gun or some of the ammo you've been using, it is you. Within in a half an hour of fine tuning my rifle I was shooting marbles I had taped to a string haning from briars next to my target board at fifty yards, Then at the same distance hammered some empty .22 lr cases slightly on the top edge of the plywood, I was hitting them as well. The gun is in my mind, one of the finest shooting .22 rimfires I've ever owned. I was shooting Federal American Eagle 40 gr High Velocity Lead Round Nose Ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts