Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hope this is not a duplicate. Did it before but may have done something wrong. Got a .22mag in a trade and came in 2nd best. Can barely shoot 4" groups at 100yds. Barrel is floating and screws are tight. Have satisfactorily eliminated myself and the scope. Thought about the barrel being shot out but considered that unlikely due to cost of ammo in my area. I had rather try to find a fix than to try to stick someone else with it. Any ideas from anyone ? Thank you, Flat ( it is a model 882SSV composite stock)

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Have you tried changing ammo?We found Marlins in particular didnt like CCI maxi Mags at all but liked the milder Winchester ammo just fine. sam.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Yes ditto what samuel said. Keep experimenting with different ammo. I have a Ruger 22 mag and was fairly satisfied with a particular brand after trying a half dozen boxes of different stuff. It was capable of 50 yard head shot on squirrels.

Several years later on a whim one day I tried a little lighter bullet and oh my that was the sweet spot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sam and Killer; Thanks for your responses. I have tried 34, 36, 40,and 45gr and I can actually detect no preference. I went to sleep last night with an image of that bore in my minds eye. Today I decided to go on a cleaning binge and I scrubbed it with Outers nitro solvent, Hoppe's copper solvent, and Breakfree. It is now soaking overnight in the CLP. When I cleaned it today I thought the black would never stop coming out. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks, Flat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sam and Killer; Thanks for your responses. I have tried 34, 36, 40,and 45gr and I can actually detect no preference. I went to sleep last night with an image of that bore in my minds eye. Today I decided to go on a cleaning binge and I scrubbed it with Outers nitro solvent, Hoppe's copper solvent, and Breakfree. It is now soaking overnight in the CLP. When I cleaned it today I thought the black would never stop coming out. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Thanks, Flat
Finally got shoot again. Still can't make this thing shoot like it should ??? Tried floating the barrel and also a shim under the barrel to apply upward pressure, all to no avail. Maybe the barrel is shot out after all. Have run out of things to try. flat

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
cheap way to tell barrel wear
The cheap way is to get a factory bullet and invert in into the crown of the barrel:the bullet should stop short of the crimp groove 1/4" if the bullet stop and the neck of the brass case the barrel and crown are too far gone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi billy, thanks for your suggestion. I tried sticking a bullet into the muzzle and it stopped about 1/10 inch before contacting the brass or the crimp groove. At that point the bullet measured .224 . However; between that contact point and the brass the bullet measured .222 . So the fattest part of the bullet is between the tip and the brass. Could that be a problem?

Also, I extracted a .22 lr lead bullet and slugged the bore. Now, I know that a lr bullet is .001 smaller than the hmr but thats all I had. When I started the bullet in the muzzle it started relatively easy but got harder to push the further I went bown the bore. Does anyone know if that is a sign of a worn out barrel ? I am using Winchester supreme JHP, 34 grs. These are the ones that are larger in the middle than on the ends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ! I'm new to this forum but would recommend that you get some lupes and examine the crown of the rifle. Some people turn them down on the floor board of their Pickup truck and ride around beating the crown in the dust and dirt. We just crowned a Marlin 336 in 35 cal and brought it down from 3" to about an 1 1/4" consistant group.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
marlin .22 mag accuracy

Do believe my problem is with a worn crown. As some suggested I looked at it through a high power eye piece and there appears a lot of wear. I was really surprised because I could not see anything amiss using a reading type magnifying glass. Thanks for the help from everyone. flat

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i have seen folks use a brass round head slot screw in a drill to clean up the crown.
i havent tried it but it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi billy, do you mean a brass roundhead screw with a slot for a flatblade screwdriver? How does that work? Is the brass hard enough to reshape the stainless steel? Splain please. flat

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
once upon a time i saw a thread where a guy put the screw in a drill and carefully beveled the edges of the crown where it was nicked causing inaccuracy.
he just gently put it straight onto the muzzle.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
ive been trying to find it but havent yet

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
grinding compound on rifle crown

Arkiemike----- Thanks for input. I don't think have a good solid way to do this by hand. Also, the damage may be deep enough that the barrel may have to be cut off a bit. I have decided to take it to a gunsmith after the deer season is over. I will also get him to check it out good with a borescope. flat

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Billy, I finally found that site where you saw the brass screw trick. It is on the
"ask the gunsmith". Just passing this along for info. flat

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
well it's nice to know i didnt hallucinate it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts