Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my wife's is storing some stuff in our garage until he gets his new place and I noticed he had an interesting-looking firearm that he didn't know much about aside from the fact that it was his grandfather's.

A quick look showed me it was a Marlin Arms Model 55 "Goose Gun". It's not in bad shape, but there does seem to be some rust buildup or some sort of corrosion along the outside of the barrel (which seems odd to me, but I haven't had a chance to really look it over), and the wood definitely needs some care. I told him I'd take care of it and, over the next week. I'll be working on it and also checking the bolt, magazine, and springs (I'm no gunsmith, but I can do that much).

Now here's what I'm wondering. The gun seems to have a serial number stamped into the barrel and a little stamp that says "JM" inside of an arc near the manufacturer's information. The butt plate has been replaced, and I'm not sure the strap rings are original, either. Is it possible to determine date and place of manufacture with the serial number? Also, I have no clue what these things are worth (I can't imagine too much), but he'd just like to know.

So, can anyone help me out? Also, what's the deal with that seems to be a two-round box mag?

My camera's being borrowed right now. I'll have pics probably in a day or two.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
The Model 55 goose Gun was 36 inch barreled and 3 " chamber, 2 shot mag, leather carry strap and detachable swivels, walnut stock with rubber recoil pad, 8 lbs. Mfg. 1962-1996. value as described...100 bucks.
Rich

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that does help. 1962 is the earliest possible date of manufacture huh?

Yeah, I didn't figure it was worth much. I guess he has it for sentimental value.

So what is the purpose of a two round box mag on a bolt-action shotgun anyway? That configuration just seems very weird to me.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
4 Posts
reason for 2 shot mag was fed's limited duck and goose hunters to 3 rounds at a time as most pumps and autos are pluged also..... do it have a adjustable choke mine did i had the 12 ga 16 ga and 20ga....heard about a 10ga but never could find 1 for sale

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 12 ga. and does have an adjustable choke.

I didn't know about any federal restrictions on capacity for that. Do you have any more details? Is this still current in some places? See, I'd just expect hunters to use a double-barreled shotgun that breaks in that case.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marlin Model 55 Shotgun

I was reading your post and wondered if you could help me. I just recently purchased a very old model 55 with a 20" barrel. This is neither the slug gun version with the rifled barrel nor the swamp gun with the poly choke. It looks like it had a peep sight at the rear left side of the receiver. The two screws are still on the gun, but no sight. The gun is a real fixer-up which I am in the process of reblueing and refinishing. Does anyone know anything about this shotgun? robbinsj

·
Registered
630 Posts
Robbinsj:
Welcome to G&G. It sounds like "Bubba-the-gunsmith" has been hackin' on it. Do you have any pics you could post?

-UR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marlin Model 55 Shotgun

Uncle Red,

I'll take some pics and see if I can figure out how to load them into the posts. It may take a day or two.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
KROIL

Kano Laboratories KROIL product is an excellent gun restoration product in that it will get between surfaces as close as one-millionth of an inch to eliminate rust plus it leaves a protective coating on the metal. You might check out the web or some auto parts houses for this product.

Good old Boiled Linseed Oil is great for a stock refinish.

Your gun seems basically in line with this model as it came from Marlin.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a Goose Gun that I bought new (for about $55-60, IIRC) circa 1970. Still about new condition. It has a dull finish that looks like a military oil finish on the stock. They probably soaked it in tung oil as the Army did Garands.

Coeloptera, if you look at your state hunting regulations you'll find the restrictions on guns, shot types and magazine capacities for various species.

·
Registered
3 Posts
kroil oil

Nathangdad,

Thanks for the tip on Kroil Oil. I just picked up 2 8oz. cans from e-bay for around $20.00. Not a bad price from what I've seen. I didn't need a gallon. Will try it this weekend.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Nathangdad,

Thanks for the tip on Kroil Oil. I just picked up 2 8oz. cans from e-bay for around $20.00. Not a bad price from what I've seen. I didn't need a gallon. Will try it this weekend.
That Kroil is great stuff just as nathangdad stated but will lead to lawyer talk if you use it inside and have a wife.Rubber gloves help too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have an idea if the Marlin goose gun has appreciated in value since the last post on this thread?

And where do I pick up some shells? I am not familiar with 3in magnum.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Nope,same price,$100.in 100% condition with adjustible choke.You can pick up 3"mags about anywhere they sell shotgun shells but they must be non-toxic for waterfowl. (Steel,Bismouth,Tungsten.) ,,,sam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, Sam. I also noticed my Marlin has a gold seal on the right side of the butt stamped Marlin 1870, and 1970. Some kind of anniversary special? I have not noticed this on any of the pictures online. Any significance?

One last question, I also read about chokes. How can I tell how my gun is choked?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts