Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
My first post here- hello everyone! Nice website with lots of good info and nice folks.

I have a Glenfield Mod 25 that was made, and received by me, in 1973. I was 12 and it was my first gun- got it on Christmas eve. Boy was I ever excited! That night I dreamed of all the deer, elk, and elephants that were sure to fall to my new "high-powered" rifle. The next day my dad took me out shooting it, and I can still feel the cold air on my face and the acrid smell of the gunpowder that I'd get a whiff of every time I worked the bolt to chamber another round. I killed a lot of predatory milk jugs and tin cans that day, and still remember the beaming pride in Dad's eye every time I'd send a can flying through the air.
Dad's gone now but the rifle, and the memories associated with it, are still mine. It still has the original 4x scope, and after countless thousands of rounds being put through it the only thing I've had to replace was the clip, lost during a cross-country move many moons ago. I've moved all over the country and it has suffered a lot of abuse, banging around and, at times, neglect. But I took it out today, cleaned it, & shot it for the first time in 23 years. It shot a 1" group (with Rem Shorts no less) at 50 yards one inch low & one inch to the right. Dialed in the old scope and she's now dead on, ready to do battle once again- just as she was on that cold Christmas morning back in '73.
I have a LOT of guns, and the Model 25 isn't the youngest, or the prettiest, or the fastest of them all, but she is, by far, my favorite. :)

Oh, and dpage, your rifle was made in 1977.

Happy new year to all!

· Registered
10,887 Posts
This trigger needs help. I don't remember it being a problem as a kid (maybe because I had nothing to compare it to), but this is one of the heaviest triggers I've ever pulled. I think I'm going to have a blister on my finger in the morning after putting in some serious practice last night and today.
Anyone know of a trigger kit for this gun or do I just take it to a local gunsmith and see if he can work it over?

Thanks,
Mike
Oops, posted pics of the wrong trigger, that was for a 60/795/semiauto.

Here's the link you REALLY need :)
Marlin Bolt Action Trigger Modification Reference - RimfireCentral.com Forums
There is NO better trigger help for Marlin Bolt-actions than the ones found on that thread.

But to shortcut it, take the trigger/sear off, polish the trigger/sear mating until it gleams, and put it back together...if that doesn't drop it to a reasonable pull level, do the rest of the things in that thread One At A Time, testing after each one, until you reach your Happy Place ;)

· Registered
23 Posts
Took the old Model 25 out today after cleaning it up and mounting a new Bushnell 3-9x40 scope on it. Shot some Winchester Powerpoints, Wildcats, and Subsonics at 35 yards. The PP's & WC's did decent minute of squirrel sub 1" groups, but the Win Subsonics totally rocked. 7-shots into one ragged minute-of-squirrel-eye hole 1/2" across. I was happy! :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum and to gun ownership. My father willed me his Marlin Glenfield Mod 25, and I'm trying to determine it's age. The rifle doesn't appear to have a serial number. From the small amount of research I've done, this means that it's pre-1968.

If it doesn't have a serial number, how do I determine it's age? I have no intention of selling it but I'd just like to know more about it. It looks like a perfect shooter to learn and teach my son about the pride of owning a firearm (he's 9).

Thanks!
-John
My dad bought me a Glenfield Model 25 in 1969 - I was 14. Still have it - she's got a better scope, has been re-blued and have refinished the stock with TruOil. We call her "The Blonde". Just had the action/barrel out of the stock today;
there is no serial number. Happy shooting!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.