Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here. I have inherited some guns and need to know if they are any good or not. Hopefully someone can help. I have a Marling Golden 39-A with a scope on it. It is like new, I think. Is this a good gun or just something my dad picked up at a rummage sale.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
The Marlin Model 39 in any of it's variations is a very good gun, with an excellent reputation for accuracy and reliability. It's considered the benchmark that other rimfire lever actions are compared to!
Hard to find one in a gunshop - the owners like to keep them. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Big Dog. I also received a couple of older Remington 870 Wingmasters. What is the word on these. Bob

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
One line describes both the Marlin 39 and the Remington 870 Wingmaster: Solid, reliable and built to last.

You have some fine guns. Enjoy them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 39a made in 1941, my wife has a carbine made in 1971. I'd shoot eather of these two rifles against any stock .22 on the market today. And nothin beets a blued steel/walnut stocked lever action in the looks dept. (IMHO) If you're not happy with your 39a let me know and I'll make ya a deal.

-UR

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
My 39A is a '52 model, and the ejector is acting up - but it's an easy part to replace. Just have to put in an order to Numrich. Great gun for being 54 years old.
The Rem 870 is a mighty fine gun too. I have two - a 12 gauge home defense gun and a 16 gauge hunting gun - my prime 'squirrel gun'. Dad has the 12 gauge Wingmaster - it's never hiccupped in about twentyfive years of shooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts