Marlin lever action.

Discussion in 'Marlin' started by blue fox, Mar 2, 2020.

1. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

My grand daughter's husband has a Marlin 30-30 lever action that belonged to his Grandad. He says there is a problem with the lever hanging up especially (as he described it) if the lever action is over extended. Anybody have suggestions other than not to over extend the lever?

TXplt, neophyte, Jaison and 1 other person like this.
  2. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I don't know the Marlins as well as I know the win-92's, but you shouldn't be able to ''over- throw'' the lever.
    just by it being able to do that tells me the gun has an issue internally.

CopperniX, rando, Dutch and 2 others like this.

3. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

I figure that there is something way over worn inside.

rando, neophyte, Junction15 and 3 others like this.
  4. old bones

old bones G&G Evangelist

Probably a clean and lube for starts while looking for obvious wear patterns. As @runfiverun stated "you shouldn't be able to overthrow the lever"

TXplt, neophyte, Dutch and 2 others like this.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yep, a worn or broken part is what I would be looking for...

TXplt, neophyte, Junction15 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

At the end of the lever is a knob that manipulates the bolt. If that’s boogered up, it could lock the bolt open.

Possibly?

rando, ChaZam, neophyte and 3 others like this.
  7. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

it could be right there.

now I gotta try to re-think.
    I know you can pull the bolt on the Marlins pretty easily and there is a pin or something on the right side that can come out with the bolt out.
    that might be missing, and it could cause the problem here.

ChaZam likes this.
  8. Janna

Janna G&G Evangelist

Texas
    I have my dad's Marlin. Thanks to a friend who thought he could "clean it thoroughly" for me, it's in small pieces. I sometimes look at it as a puzzle I could put back together. I then watch YouTube videos and realize, nope. Every few months I think, "I can get that together" then stop.

9. Sounds like the bolt has been removed and the ejector wasn't put back correctly

TXplt, Dutch, ChaZam and 2 others like this.
  10. Jaison

Jaison G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Thought about that last night, too, but was almost in LaLa Land. The first time I field stripped the 336, the ejector went sigogglin and was a bear to get back apart.

TXplt, Dutch, Mindy up North and 2 others like this.
  11. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oh my Janna, you need to wade into that project and reassemble your daddio's Marlin. If all the parts are there you can probably do it and without really getting rough or careless you probably can't or won't do anything so wrong that it can't be undone and redone the right way.

TXplt, Janna, rando and 4 others like this.
  12. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Go for it. Someone put it together originally, I'm sure you can too.

Janna, rando, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  13. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

TXplt, Janna, ChaZam and 3 others like this.
  14. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Does sound like a royal PIA. My first step would be a qualified gunsmith.

Janna, ChaZam, neophyte and 2 others like this.
  15. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

Like dutch said go for it. by the way like the new look. :D

Janna, ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  16. Janna

Janna G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Thank you, I definitely will look into it. I think of it as an adventure, although I'm not too mechanically inclined lol

ChaZam and neophyte like this.
  17. Janna

Janna G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Thank you, broke down to get into a summer look :)

ChaZam, neophyte and Mindy up North like this.
  18. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Ya....sounds well like hanging up on the ejector which isn't that hard to replace properly but can get buggered up. It's a wishbone kinda spring which fits in a slot on the left (inner) side of the receiver. I can see how someone could put this in the wrong way although it seats properly and 'makes sense' when all is right. It's not possible (or at least shouldn't be) if the lever's engaged in the bolt to over extend it because the lever itself locks into the bolt. The ejector can be a bit tricky and it comes out easily; I usually look at the schematic to make sure it's replaced properly. The final closing portion of the lever raises the bolt lock which also 'completes the circuit' aligning the aft portion (movable) of the firing pin with the rest of the firing pin. The hammer won't drop until this happens. It's quite an ingenious design.

19. Plumber

Plumber G&G Addict

This could help put it back together. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/how-disassemble-clean/20184-disassembly-assembly-1895-pics.html
    I have a friend who could put that Marlin back together with his eyes closed. Too bad he's way down in Texas. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/members/37118.html

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    neophyte likes this.